1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Union mentality... I'll never understand it

Discussion in 'General' started by dickie doo, Nov 2, 2012.

1. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I'm leaving this out of the dungeon, because it's not political or religious. Why would anyone turn away help in the wake of such an awful event?

What could you possibly gain from sending skilled workers away in the middle of a recovery to work in the neighboring state? I simply don't understand.

http://mobile.al.com/advbirm/pm_29179/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=a2qQFqtf

SEASIDE HEIGHTS, New Jersey - Crews from Huntsville Utilities and Decatur Utilities are among many that made their way to the hurricane-ravaged East Coast only to be turned away in New Jersey, according to a WAFF 48 News report.

Derrick Moore, one of the Decatur workers, told the North Alabama station they were told by crews in New Jersey that since they are not union employees, they are not allowed to work.

Moore told the station they're frustrated being told "thanks, but no thanks."

New Jersey's loss is New York's gain. According to the report, the Huntsville crew is instead headed to Long Island to assist.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Closed shop state? Mob control?

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

This would be one hell of a thread in the Dungeon. 0 pages to 20 inside 2 days. :D

4. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

stupid is as stupid does.

5. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

Woot Woot, come to Long Island

6. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I don't care if it gets moved. I'm just not sure it needed to be there.

I seriously don't understand the logic in a decision like this. It's either pure stupidity or arrogance, or a little of both.

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

A lot of it has to do with securing work for their workforce. In normal times, I get it. But your people are homeless right now, so suck it up for the common good.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Doo, I'll leave it here. No need for another 20 pager over there. :D

Why do they pull shit like that? Because they can. Doesn't matter if they can't handle the workload, it still somehow takes money out of their pockets (or so they claim).

Just reminds me why I try and never go back to Jersey or the philly area of PA.

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I would be pissed if I was without electricity.

Wait till Chris Christie hears about this.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if we heard it before he did.

I can't help but wonder if it went to vote how many union workers would have voted them out. You gotta ask yourself, how many hours sleep have these guys had in the last 4 days?

They're morons for turning away qualified help.

12. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Those crews got a lot of experience in the aftermath of the 2011 tornadoes. Foolish to turn down their help.

13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Biting the hand that feeds them

Come contract negotiation time they'll get bum rushed for it. If they go on strike they will get ZEEEEROOOOO sympathy from the common folk = less leverage in negotiations. In fact, civilians will ASK for anti-strike laws to be put in place due to it.

Morons..and i worked in a Union shop, never again i said to myself. It breeds morons and laziness.

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

QUOTE=YAM#849;3992499]Those crews got a lot of experience in the aftermath of the 2011 tornadoes. Foolish to turn down their help.[/QUOTE]

Yep... The help must have been interrupting their Pre Strike talks.... Unions have their bad and good but honestly I have never seen any good.. Screw em..

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

:beer:
    :beer::beer:

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

We have an annual tree planting here, usually in a park, one year they planned to plant about 20 trees at a local elementary school in a depressed area of town with very little landscaping an no trees. They held the ceremony but weren't allowed to plant the trees due to union rules for school maintenance employees. The trees were left with the school but not planted for three months and about half of them died. Several were valley oaks in large containers. Idiots!

17. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Trying hard not to venture into dungeon territory here.

While I am frustrated by the union mentality weekly and see no good in protecting coworkers that are lazy or worse criminals, I don't think it's wise to dismiss unions totally. If the choice is thousands of people "overpaid" by 10K or a few company executives overpaid by millions, I'll take the former.

Middle class non-union folk fighting against mid-class union folk is exactly what the wealthy want. Keeps the majority's minds off the absurd salaries at the top. Unions may not be great but the people on the other side of the negotiating table aren't saints either

- Joe

18. kangasj

kangasj Banned

:up:

19. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Stories like this sure don't help the unions and they are idiots for allowing it to happen, but there is a reason that we hear far more stories about unions than CEO's. The wealthy are very good about hiding things. This tree planting incident is bad, but pales in comparison to the Enron or Big bank folks operating practices. I mean while being bailed out we'll give massive bonuses. Or lets manipulate the energy market in California from Texas. Let me sell all my company stocks while cooking books and telling our workers to keep theirs, our company is safe days before collapse. Neither is right though, but union behavior PALES in comparison.

- Joe

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sure you don't want this moved to the Dungeon, Doorag? :D