1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understanding Obamacare

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Fent, Sep 22, 2013.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

We have roaches tougher than him in the building, granted these buggers are fed with asbestos and rocket fuel residue left over from the 50's.... okay so maybe that is not a fair comparison... except the roach part.

2. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

man, this is one Hell of a tax increase.

3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

One thing not mentioned, and a HUGE reason for the premium increases that providers are rolling out, is that pre-existing conditions can no longer be used as a reason to deny coverage.

There's a term in the insurance industry called adverse selection. That's when your only participants in a plan are those who are at highest risk of needing the coverage provided. Apparently the insurance carriers are treating the pre-ex conditions as a nation wide adverse selection case.

They're jacking rates because they have not had to cover individuals with pre-ex issues before. Now they are padding their premiums as a best guess of what coverage will cost for folks with a pre-ex. I have three items that have caused me to be denied individual coverage in the past. I don't see a doctor for them and they're fine, but they are pre-existing conditions so I could be turned down by anyone. Basically the carriers were only insuring the absolute lowest risk applicants of individual coverage.

That's the big change that's causing the costs to skyrocket.

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, Barry missed on his promise to not raise taxes on us but he did make good his promise to get his kids a dog...

Here is a list of Emperor Barrys greatest hits and misses. It takes a while to go thru but it is pretty interesting reading.
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/browse/?page=1

5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

There was a republican senator on the radio today and it was absolutely sickening listening to him try to justify not shutting the gov down. I swear he said "in2014 when we have the majority we will be able to get rid of Obamacare" about 20 times in a 5 min segment...

These arrogant pricks think they're going to be re elected AND gain seat in the mid terms... Wtf. If this doesn't get stopped now what difference does the 2014 elections make... Omg it made me and my buddy so angry. At least the host was really going at him, usually Hannity is pretty friendly to repubs that come on his show. He actually called them gutless and scared straight to him...

6. sheepofblue

And the mandatory items to be insured have increased a ton. Oh and the paper work has gone exponential. Everytime you go the Dr they have a new questionaire :mad:

7. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I'm looking at premiums for a client right now. Family coverage for the 'Gold' plan is 25k+ a year. Ooof.

8. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Holy slapnuts batman! :eek:

I have to wonder how many people are reconsidering their voting decisions 6 years ago now that their wallets gonna be a little lighter.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

He appears to have been paying attention to how past efforts have fared.
    How does shutting down the government or defunding Obamacare help the Republicans in the next election?
    Obama would love nothing more than to have either or both of those things happen.
    Guess who then becomes responsible for every problem with the government or health care? (Hint: Not Obama.)
    Did the sequester debacle teach you nothing?
    The only way to kill Obamacare is to take back the Senate, and the way to not take back the Senate is to give the Dems a ton of Albatrosses to hang around the necks of Republicans just before the 2014 elections.

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If he's paying attention to the past, does he have any examples of sweeping changes like the ACA getting passed, fully implemented and THEN repealed?

11. In Your Corner

It won't be fully implemented before the next election.

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I still don't tie the premiums to the ACA 100%. I think the cost of medical care needs to be looked at as well as the profit driven nature of health insurance. UHC, BCBS, Cigna, etc. are all publicly traded companies that focus on the bottom line. Their goal is to charge as much as possible in premiums and pay as little back out as possible.

The profit motive plus the morass that is the actual cost of health care is such a snafu that nobody even tries to untangle the mess to figure out if hospitals, docs, and insurance carriers are fleecing everyone. The ACA is providing a convenient opportunity to jack up insurance rates.

I wonder if we'll look back in a few years at this time much the same as the gun buying and ammo buying sprees when Obama first came to office and the NRA / Manufacturers et al were screaming that our guns were going to be taken. I know Glock was loving the record sales.

I'm skeptical of the costs being solely the result of the ACA. I've met with C level folks at providers and have heard little concern. Their still providing the benefits and getting to set the rates. They are simply getting more money at this point with an unknown future expense which may or may not materialize. Rate increases now are all speculative in nature in my opinion.

13. sheepofblue

The sequester hurt both parties. Obama dropped a bunch in the polls and the White House shutdown even had leftist comedians telling jokes.

The shutdown under Bush did not impact the Republicans like is commonly reported as the gain in one house and lost in another, more of a wash.

The conservative base sat out Romney and I predict will do so more often as they have been told if you just elect more of us we will eventually grow a set. Unlike Charlie Brown they are beginning to understand that tomorrow never comes.

The republicans control the house yet Obama and Reid never compromise because they know that Boehner is their bitch.

14. In Your Corner

I don't see the point you're making regarding trying to defund Obamacare, which is the current issue.
    Just how would that work, keeping in mind that Obama is not going to let his signature legislation just quietly die?

15. sheepofblue

It is not 100% or 0% if played right.

Do I think they could shut down the government long enough to have Obama cave? No. Do I think if they hold out can they make gains in some way? Yes

The king will fight shutdown of his march to socialize medical care even if it requires ignoring the law.

16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Dude, just shut it all down... What do I care about 2014 when the problem is hitting me in 2 weeks.

If the gov is shut down that means they can't do any more to screw up the country. Maybe if it's shut down for 2 or 3 months people will start to realize they do more harm than good up there... The house should send 150 bills to the senate all saying the same exact thing "this bill will fund Medicare, Medicaid, and military while the gov is shut down" ... and let the dems sit on it or vote no 150 times.

It's so stupid and the republicans don't have any balls. I'm sooo sick of all of them. Just shut it down.

17. sheepofblue

Or go back to how it used to be. First send a CR for the military. If Reid doesn't like it he hates the military. Then go department by department. Do the IRS and Obamacare last. The monster bills need to stop.

18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

The linked article, penned by a CEO within Wall Street, makes a good point to let the Government go into shutdown. The key, of course, is the debt limit. From what I've read it doesn't appear that a shutdown resulting from no more debt limit raises would be so bad in spite of what we hear from the talking heads and the media. People will learn to adapt to a new, less liberal, budget. I say, go for it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/u-broke-t-afford-raise-debt-ceiling-says-114000942.html

19. Howlie2

Howlie2 In middle-dodging traffic

The ACA sure makes it easy for the insurance companies to jack up the rates...and they can place the blame squarely on the requirements of the ACA. I'm 100% certain that the insurance companies are padding those rates significantly. With no ACA, this extreme rate hike wouldn't have been available so most of the blame lays at the feet of the ACA.

Now I lay the blame for the ACA at the feet of the insurance lobby and the people they paid to make this into law. I'd bet money that every yes vote resulted in some significant contributions.

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:up: