1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Under cut transmission????????

Discussion in 'Tech' started by skillets, Feb 23, 2003.

1. skillets

skillets Gunnin' for terrance

What is a undercut tranny and why do you do it? I am buying a bike with one and would like a little knowledge on it

2. zrx479

zrx479 Well-Known Member

The dogs on the side of your Transmission gears are what engage and disengage.

Undercutting is the process of cutting them at an angle, kinda like the male part of a dovetail only not so severe.

The result is that the gears are pulled together when power is applied. Helps with more positive shifts, and lessons the chance of jumping out of gear if you are light on the shifter.

The only downside I know of is that it MAY take a bit more effort to shift. Not ususally a concern.

Clear as mud?

3. skillets

how is the reliablity and whats it worth

4. zrx479

zrx479 Well-Known Member

Now THAT part I can't help you much with.

I have heard prices from $2-400 if the trans was out of the bike.

If was done correctly reliablity shouldn't be an issue. Would probably be a bonus though as missed shifts are hard on parts.

Like most other performance mods, who did the work would be the best way to judge. If it was a reputable shop I'd consider it a plus and leave it at that.

5. skillets

cool thanks

6. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

undercut tranny's shouldnt be any less reliable. if anything its going to last longer since the chance of chewing up the dogs is nil. as long as it was done correctly that is.

i did this to my 92 750 and it shifted like butter. when i need to open the motor on my 02 i will certainly be doing this.

7. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

The new suzuki's are under cut:) on the load side. I have talked to a few shops that will not do the undercutting if there is any damage to the dogs. They repace the gear before they under cut it. That can get expencive.....

8. Demon DS7

Demon DS7 Well-Known Member

I'm Running an undercut rd 400 tranny in my DS7. cost was around $400 Several gears were replaced due to wear on the dogs (used tranny). I get very positive ,smooth shifts even if I'm a little light on the shifter. I wouldn't race without it.

9. skillets

Cool, i am looking forward to trying it out at vir in two weeks.