1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultimate Singles Racer Spondon Framed Yamaha 660

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by wasaracer68, Oct 19, 2019.

1. wasaracer68

wasaracer68 Active Member

Hello all I have a Spondon framed Yamaha 660 single racebike that belonged to a friend of mine. Some of you may recognize the name. Pierre LaCasse passed away earlier this year after a battle with ALS. Pierre was a multi time CCS Florida region Champ in the Lightweight classes riding Honda Hawks. After the classes changed he bought this bike and won races with it in the late '90's before a stroke sidelined him. This bike has a Spondon frame and swingarm, Tecnomagnesio rims, Ohlins suspension and brembo brakes. I have yet to pull the tank off it but I'm certain he has flatslides on it as well. I believe this bike uses a 660 Raptor based motor overbored, cams etc. It also will come with a spare set of rain wheels. According to his widow he paid about $17k for this as a complete ready to race package. It has not run in many years and sat in his garage. It will need a full restoration and I am not the one to do it. I am selling this for his widow and all proceeds go to her. I am asking $8k. There is no paperwork with this bike. Sold as-is. I have the bike in Jacksonville, Fl. spon 3.jpg spon 1.jpg spon 2.jpg

britx303 likes this.
  2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

WOW thats a cool racer!! GLWS! :beer:

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Want want want...

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Oh... that's got the desire to rescue waking up in me...

5. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I might ad you could advertise this to the AHRMA folks too...lot of bike for the money.

Any info on the other two bikes in that picture??

6. wasaracer68

Good idea, I will look at the AHRMA site. The other two bikes were also his. The '87 FZR1000 has not run in many years but was running when he fell ill. I have just had the carbs cleaned up and the motor is free. I am just trying to find a little time to try and fire it up. Fuel tank is surprisingly clean. I do have a Florida title for it and do want to sell it. The blue bike is a Honda Hawk. Pierre won Daytona with it a couple times in the early '90's and lots of Florida region races with it. It is partially disassembled now and I imagine I will have to tear down the motor or put a stocker in it. He put that aside when he got the Spondon Yamaha after the CCS rules allowed air cooled Ducati 1000's to run in the lightweight classes. He and I raced Hawks together and I still have one so I am not in a particular hurry to move that bike.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  7. attack636

attack636 Well-Known Member

how much for the honda hawk as is

8. motogpwerks

motogpwerks Active Member

I have a world SOS spondon ,that ran the world circuit and isle of mann ...I would offer 5k ,thats more than what I paid for my works bike 7142230111

418 likes this.
  9. wasaracer68

Well, I'm not sure what the Hawk as-is will be. It has been partially disassembled as I have parted out certain more valuable items. That picture was from about 6 or 7 months ago. As-is will probably mean CBR1000 or F2 front wheel with possible stock forks and stock single front brake. Stock rear wheel. I think the Fox shock is still there. I'm going to assume the motor is broken as I don't think my friend would have parked it if it still ran. May have stock carbs. Probably still has old style 10,200 rpm TBR cdi box, would have to look. Would you still be interested if that were the case?

10. wasaracer68

A bike like that was probably valued way over this one so I think $5k is way low. I'll keep it in mind but I am trying to get good money for this to forward to my friends widow. Thanks though.

11. motogpwerks

motogpwerks Active Member

I understand ,but it needs 4k spent on it (at least ) and a Mint one goes for 8500-9200 if it mint and well looked after with race history and thats back in the day when there was a class...there is no where to race it here in the states and if it was raced in europe then it would need a different motor to be on par with the field .
    Here is mine and its not worth a penny over 6k

zx250r and 418 like this.
  12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Pricing aside...........there are plenty of classes for this to race in.

13. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

I would be interested

14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Go to the facebook group AHRMA swap meet. Lots of stuff getting sold there, and AHRMA has the Sound of Singles classes.

I don't remember this bike, but when I first started racing CCS Florida in the late 90's, there was a pretty good contingent in the Super Singles class. Most were MuZ 660's which was the same Yamaha motor. Those guys helped me out a lot getting into motorcycle racing. GLWS.

15. wasaracer68

I don't see a picture attached. I would be interested to see yours.

16. wasaracer68

OK, give me a little time to see what I've got for this one and I'll get back to you. It may be a couple weeks as I moved recently and stuff is everywhere.

17. wasaracer68

Update: the FZR is alive, got it running yesterday. Motor sounds pretty good, bike has 19k miles. Fuel tank is clean, bike will need brake work, clutch work, probably master cylinder and slave, tires are old etc. I will keep working on it but would accept offers to stop anytime. Florida title is available.

18. wasaracer68

The Spondon framed Yamaha is still available. I have since listed it several places so no doubt it's getting some interest. As I stated I'd like to get $8k but I have spoken to several people that are currently still in the sport and they suggest I may be a little high. I am of course open to offers. Can I get someone to pop for $6500? I am in Florida.

19. wasaracer68

Bump with additional information.

OK, more information. Engine serial number is 4NN-002271. I have my Yamaha rep looking into it to verify but from my research this motor is based on the Yamaha XT660R motor that was not used in the US for anything. The SRX6 motor is air cooled. This is definitely water cooled. All 660 Raptor motor #'s begin with AM013 or AM01Y-......... It is not a Raptor motor. I have found some old MZ sites and found a picture of someone else's motor with 4NN prefix only. This motor has SS engraved on it. Quite clearly an engine builder somewhere. The forks are Ohlins 46mm open cartridge type. Serial # on the forks is FG9031 V-208. The gentleman at Ohlins in NC told me parts are still available for them and they were among the best of their day. I saw no markings on the Ohlins Shock . Keihin flatslides are under the tank. This bike appears to have a total loss ignition with a Tigcraft left side crankcase cover. The rightside case cover says MZ. The exhaust system is shot, the pipes are swiss cheese. The best news is that the MOTOR IS LOOSE! I turned it over by hand yesterday. If I don't receive a reasonable offer soon I will probably list this on Ebay globally. Tons of pictures available for anyone interested. Probably too many to bother listing here.

20. wasaracer68

Many thanks to Dave 83BSA for some more information. Apparently this bike belonged to Stu Carter before he sold it to Pierre. The "SS" that I had seen engraved into the motor was for Stan Stevens, the engine builder.