1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S. Rep. Janklow Get Away With Manslaughter.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by cbrroadracer, Jan 28, 2004.

1. cbrroadracer

cbrroadracer Member

Here is my reply to an article at roadracingworld.com. Please note that this is my own personal feeling regarding the outcome of his trial.

I Just got finished reading your post about U.S. Rep. Janklow from South Dakota and must say that I'm upalled! I belive, had it been anyone else with his driving record, would have been found quilty and given a much worse sentance. It's an insult to all that ride motorcycle and even those who drive cars, that he was given a slap on the wrist! I wish that there were something that the AMA, Roadracing World and others could do to change things that punish people, who more than once show that they can't control themselves in or on a motor vehicle. He is a man that has admitted to driving over the posted speed more than once and been caught. Imagine if it had been a tour bus or a family station wagon and all were killed.
    This really is a shame!! Everyone that is involved with riding or driving a motor vehicle should think about this: " What if it were your father or family member was killed or injured. Would you feel the sentance handed down (with the same driving record) was fair?"...I don't think so.
    I hope fellow motorcycle riders will rally to ensure he and others that drive that way on the road are never allowed to have a drivers license and get away with it (killing someone).
    By the way, I read that he admitted to driving too fast because he was in a hurry and having some kind of medical problem or reaction. Something needs to be done. Had it been a drunk driver, I bet he would have been sentanced to quite a long time in prison....Imagine if he had been drinking before the accident! However, it was not proven that he was'nt drinking when the accident occured. On that note: I'm sure others will agree, that it makes it even more serious because he was in complete control of his actions.
    Please forgive my ranting and raving. It just always seems that if your famous or have money you can get away with anything(even manslaughter).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  2. racer212

racer212 Well-Known Member

What gets me...

Two things really...

1. He claims that he is diabetic and needed to rush home because of low blood sugar. Diabetes runs in my family, and I know that if you are that bad off, you know better than to drive. Most diabetics carry some form of sugar (cake icing in a tube is popular) to help in "emergency" reactions. So this really should not be an excuse in this case. Also, did he not have a passenger in the car with him? I may be wrong about this, but if he did, how about " Dude, I shouldn't be driving..." I also read somewhere that he has never been "officially" diagnosed with diabetes...

2. On the same day, an 18 year old man was sentenced to 10 years for sleeping with his 17 year old fiance. Which of these to crimes is worse?