1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tz650r

Discussion in 'Tech' started by wsmcrobert, Jan 29, 2006.

1. poorwrench

poorwrench Member

the oil tank is mounted on the subframe under the seat and can hold more than two quarts. i was able to use the stock tz radiator with a few flues removed in the center. with a heat index of 107 degrees at barber's last july it never got above 160 degrees. it is front heavy at 56/44. i'll try and post some pics if i can figure out how to reduce the file size. if not i'll entertain requests at [email protected]

2. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

+1

i had a YZ426 before i had the Xr650R

the YZ weight plenty less and revved faster but sold it before the engine popped on me-lol-it was just a matter of time

i always ran castrol 20w-50 full synthetic in both my tards'

3. wsmcrobert

wsmcrobert Well-Known Member

i have the bike dropped off at a frabricators shop right now to get an oil tank and oil cooler mounted. i'll post some pics when i get it back. the way the motor was mounted was to use the tz swing arm bolt as the rear motor mount (it just happened to be the right size bolt diameter i think 22mm) so then the swing arm needed to get cut out in the center to straddle the rear motor mount and bushed so that the swing arm still pivots properly and reinforced. that is the only questionable part about it: is the swing arm adequately reinforced? i'll be testing that out on the track.
    as far as motor alignment, we just lined up the counter shaft sprocket with the rear sprocket. it made the bike slightly heavier on the left so we went with the 2 into 1 pipe on the right side as opposed to a double 1 into 1 pipe on each side. when you use the swing arm pivot bolt as the rear motor mount you have pushed the engine back as far as possible, but as poorwrench said it still weights the front alot more. and i am sure that will be my case too. as far as how high to swing the front of the motor up that is guesswork. from what i have heard you want the top of the countershaft sprocket about 1/4" above the top of the swing arm at the pivot (according to rob north who has built one) but mine is substantially highter than that. plus that 1/4" will grow or disappear as you adjust your swing arm angle.

4. wsmcrobert

glad to hear you are able to keep it cool. my tz did'nt have the stock rad. it had a modified gsxr600 rad that i was not able to use. i am going to use a tl1000r top radiator with an oil cooler under the seat. i'll put my oil tank inside of the tail fairing. questions:
    do you know your hp?
    does the oil pump both ways? into and out of the tank in other words could i mount the oil cooler on the return side?
    how do you start your bike?
    how many square inches is the cooling part of your radiator?
    thanks alot!!

5. poorwrench

poorwrench Member

i have about 106sq in of radiator core. works fine. i removed about 10mm from the left of the engine case and re-installed the steel bushing along with installing the countershaft sprocket reversed to align the chain. the swingarm is basically not braced or reinforced where the material was removed to fit the engine mount through the swingarm pivot. the tube that the swingarm bearings move on had to be cut and properly fit. i did box in the section of the swingarm that was removed. i have photos. i was fortunate enough, or stupid enough, to have bought a complete tz. mounting the xr motor through the swingarm pivot puts the countershaft sprocket in almost the same position as stock. i had originally wanted to use a crf450 but the xr650r pivot to sprocket distance is within .125 in of stock. i had made a jig before i disassembled the bike for placement. i did not install a dedicated oil cooler although it needs to be on the output side of the oil pump. the return is pure gravity. see ya

6. GrahamB

GrahamB Well-Known Member

They're 600 numbers... because the bike is light, the rider's weight will have more influence than on an IL4, so you'd want to keep more weight at the front to compensate for that.

Yeah, nice bike, but I reckon they're better with the engine they come with :)

7. GMC

GMC 2-strokes only

Yep, but some of use old guy's like the puppy classes.
    At my home track a TZ250 is run in open superbike

8. poorwrench

poorwrench Member

i missed a couple questions.....
    i have not had the bike on a dyno. from what i've read,it should be mid 50's at the wheel with the hrc piston/cam upgrade. from other forums, the huge hp numbers, like 70, don't exist. i bought another splined piece for the stock kick starter and welded them together to clear the frame. most race org. don't allow kickstarters to remain on the bike though.

9. poorwrench

poorwrench Member

10. GMC

GMC 2-strokes only

Very nice poorwrench. I looked at welding a extended spline for the kick start but gave up on that as others told me the stress would cause problems. So I am going with a compression release valve and either push and or roller start.

11. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

I rode Bruce's (Poorwrench) frankenbike at Little Talladega and was only 2 or 3 seconds off the pace I was running on my R6 that day. I was super impressed with the bike and the way it handled. I have never been on anything like it and it was good. I was running through the sweeper there with 4th gear pinned and didn't know it till I ran out of gears on the back straight. He did a great job getting that thing put together.

Chris

12. wsmcrobert

all the engine and chassis work is done now (7 months later) and it's going back together.

secret head work inlcuding centering up the intake and mikuni 45mm carb:

Attached Files:

13. wsmcrobert

smaller than i wanted radiator tl1000r, so oil cooler was added and oil tank under tail section:

Attached Files:

14. wsmcrobert

cut and reenforced swing arm:

Attached Files:

15. smith628

smith628 Member

Hey guys these bikes look great. What is your thoughts on a 1999 r6 with a 2005 xr650r motor I have access to this cheap If I thought I could make it work. And what classes could I ride in ?? clubman??

Thanks,
    Chris

16. wsmcrobert

i think it would be worth giving it a try. the one complaint i have about the tz chassis is that it is extra small. there are things i would have liked to do differently if i had more room especially between the motor and front wheel. you probably would'nt have those same issues with the r6. the down side is that the r6 chassis is heavier than the tz chassis. i might start another one when this one is finished with a G & S frame. i'm thinking about buying another tz250 runner and use the forks,tripples, swing arm, shock,tank,and bodywork and have the custom frame made. it will cost some $$$ though. about $1500 to build the fixture and then another $2500 +/- for the frame.

as far as race classes go: clubman, dsb, and f2. maybe more.

17. smith628

smith628 Member

Thanks for encouragement, I think I'm going to try it if I can get the back mount to work the R6 does not run though the motor so I think a cradle will have to made to fit there if it does not put the motor to far forward.

Thanks, Chris

18. smith628

smith628 Member

What kind of top speeds are the bike running and do you think it would be competive in clubman. the reason I want to try this is to get into racing some of the slower classes. I work at Honda-Yamaha shop ...so that rules out gs500 or ex500 and fzr400 is to hard to find.

19. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

I'd think that combo would be a little heavy. But then, there was an old(er) GSXR/DR650 combo that ran down in WSMC a few years back. I think the dude used an early 90's GSXR chassis.

An R6/XR650 motor would be lighter and more powerful than that, at least. :D

If you want to use a street chassis, look for a smaller bike that used a v-twin. A NT650 (Honda Hawk) is a good start. Matt (MBMotorsports) on this board used one of those with a CRF450 motor. Or perhaps one of the late 90's Buells that used the trellis/Ducati style frame.

I also saw a Tim Barker built Aprilia Cup RS250/XR650R racer back in '02 that was absolutely bitchin'! :up:

Where there is a will...plus a grinder and a welding torch...there is a way. :D

20. wsmcrobert

yea, the swing arm / motor mount will be the most difficult. i have seen other combinations where they did not cut the swing arm for the motor mount and they added a motor mount in front of the swing arm pivot. if you have the room to do this it will probably be the best way to go. another option is to buy a supemono runner from over seas (japan or england) or keep an eye out for a frame (i know of someone who found a spondon on thumperpage for a yam xtc 660 motor) there's a lot of options.

top speeds? i'm trying to gear mine for 140 mph (15/35) . it has'nt been to the track yet so i don't know if my motor will push the bike with that gearing. i might have to gear it lower. as far as competitiveness: i think it will do really well if i can keep it running. i'm just looking at power to weight. if you can get to around 260 lbs. in race trim and around 70 hp you will do well.