1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV's- what can ya get for $1k

Discussion in 'General' started by mikek, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

make sure to check frys.com a couple times a week...their sales can be HUGE, but sometimes very short-lived on the big discounts :up:

2. sam386

sam386 Well-Known Member

I got a Samsung 52":bow:
    errrrr 1k plus a lil mo' :eek:

3. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Yeah, I bought a Panasonic 720 plasma 50-inch from Best Buy for $1199 (down from $1399 on a price match from a Howard's ad) and then two weeks later Frys (briefly) had the same model for $899 so I went back to Best Buy and got $330 credit on my credit card because Best Buy has a price match plus 10% policy if you buy something and then see it cheaper someplace else.

PS: It's bad-ass!

4. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Opps, sorry, got confused, it was a TH-42PX75U 42-inch 720 HD plasma, not a 50-inch.

(I have a 50-inch 720 HD downstairs that I bought a couple years ago but this one is a 42 that I put upstairs and bought in late December 2007. They both look great and plasma seems to follow fast action--like racebikes--better than LCD.)

5. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I bought a 50" Plasma Hitachi 1080i from HH Gregg for $999.98. :up:

6. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Obviously somebody is overcompensating.

Oh wait... DOH!

7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

8. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

says the guy who has TWO Ducatis...:D

9. cataclasite

cataclasite Registered Abuser

I picked up a Sony 40" 1080p Bravia LCD for $1200 and absolutely love it. Bought LCD because it makes a better computer monitor (no burn in and has the connectability; burn in is also an issue for gaming) and its much brighter and less reflective than comparable plasmas. My TV room is bright in the day and the brighter image is crucial. I'd say get 1080p for sure - its the trend and 1080i feed of non-sports really does look better than 720p (obviously imho). The 1080 sets are also better for showing digital photos, say from a computer.

With the way they have the sets configured in stores its almost impossible to really compare image quality. Reviews and other info on www.cnet.com and consumerreports.org are very helpful though, and are a good way to get an idea how the TV will really perform for you.

10. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

wow, lotta stuff about TV's these days!

Room is 16x32, primary TV, connected to Direct TV sat, no games, no computer stuff, no sunlight issues.
    no CLUE as to 1080P or 1080i or HDMI's.
    we really don't watch too much TV, she TIVO's movies and I TIVO motorycle races.
    $1k is ballpark, seems like there are plenty of choices, just don't want to buy the WRONG one.

11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

12. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

13. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

For an extra $100 or so you can get the Samsung LNT-4061

Amazon has it for $1150

The LNT-4065 has a couple more feature and a better contrast ratio, a little more expensive.

Check the reviews and compare features, these TVs have a lot of bang for the buck.
    Compare the contrast ratios. Both are 1080p also.

They are like LCDs with the contrast of a Plasma. I have had 3 recommendations for the samsungs and I ended up getting the 4071. The one has 120Hz refresh. I love it. Great bang per buck. Plus you get $100 from NFLshop.

14. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

I did some shopping last year to replace our old 61 inch rear projection tv. Pretty much the same price bracket, we went to a Sony 720P projector. It gave us more room, got rid of the entertainment center and we're watching everything on a 108 inch screen mounted on the wall. It's okay for sd transmissions, really good on hd transmissions and awesome with the PS3 and a blue ray disc.

It's great as long as you have a room you can darken. My wife made blackout curtains and we painted the wall with the screen a medium brown. I personally see no need to buy another standard television again, the picture on a 108 inch screen is better than on my parents 42 inch plasma. We're at 1,700 hours on the origional bulb and replacements cost around $350.00.

15. I could kick myself, as I figured prices would fall but I didn't listen to myself. I paid $1100 for my 40" Samsung LCD. BTW the people saying that you can't view a LCD from different angles is full of shit. I would say the only real complaint I have and this is with any of the flat screen tv's; is the speakers all suck! I hardly listen to the speakers in my tv...my family does but when I enter the room the volume on the tele goes down and the surround comes on. It looks like the LCD and Plasma's took a pretty decent drop in price over the last few weeks so its a good time to buy. BTW check out BrandsmartUSA if you have one near you...great prices, I have bought almost all of my electronics from there over the last couple of years. My infinity surrounds retailed for $999, ended up getting it for $525 just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Like someone on the 1st page...56" LCD Panasonic for under $1k...:wow: Wondering if it was a out of box sale, shelf item, or a return...that price is amazing.

16. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

My 50" Plasma 1080i was a black friday special at $999.98, but the same model has been on sale for the same price through some of the internet discount places since then.

17. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I don't doubt your knowledge when it comes to these sorts of things but where are you getting your knowledge from that "these" are garbage? Just cause you heard they were garbage or do you hae a link to reviews stating that they are garbage? Someone once told me that Sony's are gabage too. I did a little reading and found out that most LCD's (what I bought) are re-branded Hitachi's anyway. Or was it Panasonic. BTW I don't have anything to back that up. :p

18. Man...figures...story of my life. Course I didn't want anything that big, but that's a killer price too.

19. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Does anyone think that when all broadcasting has to go to HD that it will affect the price of TVs?