1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

turning a buellxb9 into a racebike..

Discussion in 'Tech' started by nemo cockrell, Jan 3, 2011.

1. nemo cockrell

nemo cockrell Well-Known Member

so intead of racing an sv..im gonna race a xb9r in D class and looking for some parts and places to get some stuff i might need..if you have worked with a buell before and have some input please send it my way.. thank you guys..

2. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

www.badweatherbikers.com is the best resource out there. Good classifieds and a racing section. I ran an XB12 for two years as a novice, was a great bike to learn on. I ran with a revalved stock fork & penske shock. My advice would be to keep the motor internals stock, just do exhaust & ECM and it should hold together just fine. Oh yeah, get used to the rev limiter.

Is the XB9 now allowed in D? I thought D restriced air cooled twins to 883cc. The XB9 is 984cc.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  3. nemo cockrell

i don't know about everywhere else but im racing it in cmra and it's 990 air cooled..i wish i could run it everywhere else as welll..but any extra tire money will help..thankknickers

4. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

+2 on Bad Weather - there are alot of ver y knowledgable folks over there that are very fired u pabout Buell racing

Biggest favor ya can do is call Eric Buell Racing and see if you can talk to Henry Duga is the Guru about what works on these bikes , if he hasnt retired anyway - lol - Everyone Ive talked to @ Buell has been very helpful and they want to see thier bikes out there.
    For more general stuff , look up American Sport Bike , Al is ther guy there and he is also very , very knowledgeable .

Good luck man !
    :beer:

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Pm'd

6. KNickers

One other thing. If you can find one, get a Micron full exhaust rather than the Buell slip on. The Micron makes the 9 motor run like a raped ape - at least compared to all the other exhaust systems out there. Check out the XB exhaust shoot-out that Al did on americansportbike. These exhausts are no longer in production but they come up for sale from time to time. If you see one, jump on it.

7. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

I may know a thing or two... Whatcha wanna know?

8. nemo cockrell

first off paint shaker..i need a good chain conversion that isn't gonna blow the budget? then prolly the best bang for the buck on bodywork..im just trying to get it on the track first and then ill make the bike better month after month..let me know if you get time sir.. thank you..

9. XB12R/ZX12R

XB12R/ZX12R Active Member

EBR makes a belly pan and front number plate for cheap. I made my belly pan for my 'Bolt out of sheetmetal at work. KNickers I thought the Drummer made more power than all of the other systems?

10. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

11. KNickers

XB12R - quoting ASB's report...
    "The Micron Serpent exhaust is the best overall performer on the XB9....anywhere north of 2800 RPM, the Micron reins king overall"
    Not necessarily the case for the 12 motor, but definitely the best out there for the 9, if you can find one.

12. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

Chain Conversion

I bought a Freespirits adjustable tensioner, a PBI front sprocket, a vortex rear, and an EK 520 chain. Simple! These guys sell the tensioner in kit form but if you send them a really nice email, they will sell you just the tensioner. They are in the Neitherlands but are great people and believe it or not, the shipping doesn't take long at all.

http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/artikel.asp?guid=YXHFSC&aid=337&cid=9670&s=&a=

As for body work, buy the front number plate from EBR and a belly pan and be done with it. The stock body work parts are so cheap, its almost a waiste of money to buy race body work for a Buell XB. :up:

13. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

This is a real good deal. Only down side is it is a 530 chain but for the money, still a good alternative.