1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TT-R125LE - Tires for cold concrete/pavement

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Kurlon, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm taking over my wife's TT-R125LE and may have an opportunity to race it at an indoor kart track this winter. I've already picked up a YZ80 carcass and have figured out the minor tweaks needed to run it's 17" front wheel which currently has a Bridgestone 125GP slick mounted. I've got the OEM 16" rear to sort, seems in general the suggestion is a 100 or 110 Bridgestone BT45 for that application. (Any reason to go 110 over the 100? I don't think the H vs V speed rating will be a concern. :p )

Given I'm going to be on cold, polished asphalt and concrete, I figured I'd check to see if there are any better tire options for that scenario? Rains? (does anyone MAKE a skinny 16" rain any more?) Something with more sipes? Should I skip the 17" front and toss a BT45 on my 19" rim to match the rear?

(I have no budget for suspension overhauls, hence the stock shock will be staying soft, and the YZ80 front end will not be transplanted... yet...)

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Learn to slide.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

4. backcountryme

I run bt45s on my XR. But I have never tried them on an indoor track though. You could always try some tire softening compounds too. I know kart guys use them a lot.

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I used to play with softeners when I was racing a 70 indoors... If you got the tire soft enough to be noticeable, it was too soft and you'd smear the sticky layer all over the turns for the first practice and then be back to a normal tire that hadn't warmed up yet. I talked o some guys that tried the 10 and 12 inch Kenda snow tires indoors, good grip up to 3/4 lean, then they just folded when pushed. Too soft a carcass. Given the track I'll be running, dunno if I'll be hitting full lean...

Likely just going to go with the BT45 at this point.

6. backcountryme

There is a guy running PMT tires on indoor tracks up this way. He says they are great. I don't know if they make them in anything bigger then 12s though. Here is his info

http://www.minimobracing.com/

Might shoot him an email and ask

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Already talking to the Mob, they've been teasing me with feedback on the new PMTs for a few months now... if only they were importing those when I was racing my 70! They also carry the Kenda 12" snows and where where I got the negative feedback from regards to them at full lean.

Good group of guys up there, got some fun bits for CBR250Rs too...

8. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

cheap chinese trials tires work good with the stock wheels. thats what a lot of guys run indoors at the kart track we ride on in N. VA. Cheng shin or Shinko. and they are cheap

9. backcountryme

Yeah, I have gotten some parts from them. They are from a couple of provences over from me. I have been trying to get them to come over to Calgary to race with us.

10. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Heideneau K66 or K58. From what I have seen, they work very well in the cold.

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'll have to research those. Main issue I've had with Heidenau in the past is finding someone who carries them.

For now I've punted, going to keep the old Bridgestone 125GP on the front, put a new BT45 on the back. We'll just see how well it works come December.

12. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

TK Racing should be able to either get them for you or at least tell you where they can be had. He raced some on his mini this year and in the cold he definitely had good grip.

www.tkraceproducts.com

13. lance89

lance89 Well-Known Member

shinko SR241