1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to save a few bucks on foam padding for a superbike tail

Discussion in 'Tech' started by notcrashed2day, Oct 31, 2011.

1. notcrashed2day

notcrashed2day Well-Known Member

Anyone order just foam off the internet and make their own seat pad? I really dont wana pay the 60-70 dollars for a 12" piece from a bike place. From what I gathered it's a Closed-Cell foam of some kind and i've seen them 1/2" or 15mm thick. I'm ok with cutting to fit my aplication and if it matters it's an 08' R6v

2. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Somebody posted up a while back and said they used seat foam for a kayak. Said they ordered it from an outdoor store on the internet.

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

$60 or $70?

Contact Woodcraft or Sharkskinz.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

HT Moto. Custom seat foam, relatively inexpensive. It's really nice stuff, they have been making watercraft footmats for many years.

5. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Well-Known Member

I get mine from the local car upholstry shop...they had some high density foam 3 inches thich. I bought a piece 12''x24". used an electric carving knife to shape it.

6. codzilla

codzilla Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  7. notcrashed2day

Thanks to everyone for your fantastic replies. I would have never thought of the whole Kayak thing. I think I'll try this out. Again, thanks guys!

Attached Files:

• foam.JPG
      foam.JPG
      File size:
      105.6 KB
      Views:
  8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

+1. And they come in badass urban camo (if that's your thing).

9. defiant900

defiant900 Well-Known Member

This is the best seat foam that I have ever seen or used. 10x better than the stuff woodcraft or sharkskins sells. Their foam seems to get slick after a couple races and requires sanding to get it to where your butt won't slide all over.

http://www.gptechllc.com/seatfoam.html

10. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

Best way to save money on seat foam is not to use any.

Try it a few days before you buy a pad, VERY connected to the bike. A little sore after but whats a little pain in the pursuit of speed.

11. notcrashed2day

I can appreciate your taste in quality however thats the 65 dollars plus shipping that I'm trying to avoid.

12. RB

RB Well-Known Member

I used kayak foam I bought at REI. It was a bit thicker than normal which worked out well for me.

13. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

14. notcrashed2day

This is the creative stuff I was looking for, awesome! Wish they were black though. I guess beggers can't be choosy. lol. How are you attaching it, Spray adhesive or some type of spread-on glue?

15. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Lepage Contact cement....also from Home Depot, the one that comes with a an applicator brush. I recall that they occassionally had 4 packs of black foam available as well. Big toy stores usually sell similar products so you may have more options available at Toys'R Us, etc....

16. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

+3 to HT Moto! Best seats ive used, SUPER nice and easy to work with guys there and priced cheap. Plain black is like under $40. :up:

17. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

You can get the floor mat tiles at harbor freight in black. The only thing I dislike about using this is the tiles are fairly rigid and don't glue well to curved surfaces.

The cheapest stuff I have found is the yoga mats at Wal Mart and Target. Usually around 7 - dollars. I used gorilla glue and put industrial hook velcro on the SBK tail and the loop section on the mat. Lasts about 1/2 season of hard riding.

I finally decided the GP Tech seat was much better and never looked back.

18. jackel151

jackel151 Well-Known Member

19. notcrashed2day

More fantastic ideas. Love this place.

20. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

+1 to the Yoga mats. I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't care about the color. But I don't like much padding either.