1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trumps Muslim Ban

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Shyster d'Oil, Dec 8, 2015.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I thought I made it clear, but I'll try again.
    I have to get a full time job with insurance. If I can't get insurance, the job is useless.
    Obamacare has changed the hiring scene immensely.
    Certainly I can do a desk job, but I would have to be hired first, which would require getting an interview.
    If there's a way to force people to interview anybody who applies for a job, I haven't found it yet.
    Should I threaten to sue them?
    Meanwhile, I'm getting by on my insurance and 401ks.

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Dude I'm so sorry you got hit with some bad luck. I don't know your whole story, and it doesn't matter anyway but, if I can ever be of some help, I'll be glad to help out.

crashman and turtlecreek like this.
  3. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

So on the planet that you are from. . . when an employer has not discriminated against some classes of workers they get a pass on discrimination against other types?

Also, why do you consider disabled employees to be shitty employees?

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

In my best Foghorn Leghorn voice; "It's a joke son, a joke. :D

5. It's Obama's fault?!?! Priceless! :D

6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

But wouldn't barrycare actually help your situation (I mean, if you actually wanted to work), in the sense that insurance for pre-existing conditions is now available?...

At least now, the insurance is available where it was completely out of question before...

7. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

Hayseed.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Thanks, man. But it's not exactly like a piano landed on me from a third-floor balcony. I was racing, so it's nobody else's fault but mine. Bad luck was only involved in that nine times out of 10, I would have walked away from that same crash.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No, I don't think anyone reading this thread can tell what currently qualifies you for disability. But maybe it's time for me to apply the mercy rule and let it go, if you're done asking questions.

Too bad, because if I was actually getting answers to my questions, I would have been interesting to know if you wouldn't prefer to get a little of that awful concept of affirmative action (since you claim to be on the receiving end of discrimination) over being "on disability."

10. One last try.

IYC, quite simply, what is the disability that prevents you from working?

Or are you just milking the system?

11. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Hmm, I never saw anything that said he was prevented from working, just that he was unable to find a job that provided insurance and that it wasn't beneficial for him to get a job that required him to pay his own insurance.

12. He's on government disability. By definition he has to have a condition that is preventing him from working. Otherwise he's milking the system. Disability isn't for people that can't find a job that's perfect for them.

Was I wrong in figuring that you'd be against people milking the system?

13. chas

chas Well-Known Member

You really don't understand what disability insurance is do you?

I have a friend that is on disability. Sure he could maybe answer phones and not much else. But his entire life has been a fire fighter. Should he take a job that wont cover his monthly expenses just to not "milk" the system?

That would be like me assuming that you would be against drug testing for welfare benefits, just because I see you as a liberal. Assumptions can be bad ;)

14. As far as I can tell, IYC isn't getting disability insurance. He hasn't mentioned any policy that he signed up for. He's getting government disability assistance for a condition that he seems to be ashamed to mention. All the indications are pointing towards him milking the system.

15. chas

chas Well-Known Member

So if you were to crash your car, would you look to your insurance to fix it or fix it yourself? Insurance is not a handout. It's insurance to get you why you lost. He paid into disability insurance and was making X, should he not expect to be covered till he can get X or should he settle for Y when Y may be a small fraction of X and not cover his costs?

Are you for doing away with unemployment as well? Should we expect someone that was making say $50k a year as an accountant not take unemployment just because there is a job making minimum wage as a fry cook?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, I absolutely do expect that.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

:stupid: Anything else is expecting underemployment insurance.

18. Car insurance is a private thing that I pay for, and depending on the severity of the wreck, I might actually pay for the damage, and in my experience I've ultimately payed for it one way or the other, either out of pocket or through higher premiums in the future.

I've also benefited from close to $200,000 in benefits from private health insurance that I paid for. I'll be in the black for quite some time there. :D

The money he's collecting is a publicly subsidized program. He's getting paid off of our tax money, while spending a lot of time chastising others that do so. It's quite different from for profit private disability insurance that some choose to pay for.

I'm still interested in knowing what the disability is. His reluctance to reveal it only adds to the suspicion that he's milking the system.

19. chas

chas Well-Known Member

trust me, I am 100% for doing away with unemployment insurance and any insurance that the government forces on employers and employees (along with healthcare insurance).

But insurance is insurance and if its forces on employers and/or employees by the government, it's still insurance and it should replace what's been lost. Unemployment insurance doesn't even come close. At a maximum payout of $300-$350 a week at maximum benefits, it pretty much covers nothing for people who can meet that level of benefits. I am not sure how people could go for 21+ months on it without gaming the system.

But it doesn't matter, it's forced on us and we should be able to draw on it if we paid in to it.

On top of that a lot of companies offer private disability as part of their benefits package. We don't know if IYC is drawing on private disability or not. Yet RFKA just assumes he's sucking off the dole. Assuming he is on the government tit is like me assuming all republicans are racists.

As for getting something you don't pay for, you pay for it. Your employer factors what it costs to have you as an employee into your pay. Payroll taxes are part of that figure. So yes, you as an employee pays for that. if the employers didn't have to pay that much out, they could pay you more and you could then manage your future on your own.

20. Crackhead

Crackhead Expert

Oh, but we do. You just weren't paying attention. It has come up before on other occasions when he's complained about takers living off his hard work. The issue is not simply being on disability. Shit happens, people fall on hard times. I think what's come back to bite him in the ass is all the talking. I wouldn't be surprised if most other lurkers here felt the same way.