1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck Stereo Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by slow honda, Oct 5, 2009.

1. slow honda

slow honda Well-Known Member

Looking to upgrade the stereo in the F250 (up to double din size). Not really in the loop on car audio so looking for some suggestions. Would prefer to have everything integrated and not have a lot of plugins.

Things I'd like to have are:

Sat Radio
    Bluetooth/hands free calling
    Compatible w/ iPhone

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

What's your budget?
    Utilizing current speakers?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I'm interested in hearing if anyone is using the bluetooth stuff through a radio and how it works. Thinking about one of those in the RV.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

It could be as simple as replacing the head unit. Unless you wanna go thumping down the road.

5. slow honda

slow honda Well-Known Member

New truck is $60k so a little less than that. Willing to upgrade speakers but don't need the whole block to hear me

6. darkside879

darkside879 Well-Known Member

Just put a Pioneer AVH- P3100 DVD in my 06 Tundra! Love the anti-glare screen and yes the bluetooth works awsome! Very clear on the phone calls without any distortion. The whole set up including install kit was only around $500 from crutchfield!

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

With that DVD unit I presume it'll show video on the head unit. But does it have outputs so you could pipe it to an external screen?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What are you using for a mic for the phone?

9. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

friend has one, it works pretty good, i was thinking of upgrading my current sony with one with bluetooth

10. scotth

scotth Banned

I've got the exact same truck and question. I'd like navigation too, though, if anyone has experience. also willing to swap the speakers to hear the radio better but don't need it to be audible outside the truck.

11. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i know crutchfield gives you harness connectors to plug into the factory wiring so your not cutting any wires

12. Eye-p

Eye-p Full Spectrum Power

Kenwood DNX-812.

Double Din all in one. iPhone syncs with its BT really well. Uses the supplied microphone.
    NAV is Garmin based, and easy to updaye.

3 sets of 5v pre-outs if you want to build.
    Costs around $1100.

13. scotth

scotth Banned

is that similar to the pioneer avic series? a friend has one in his vw, but he's a black-art stereo ninja.

14. darkside879

A mic comes with the head unit and it can mount via clip or velcro. It does have the outputs for external screens also. So far it has been a well rounded unit.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sweet. I can't do the double din size but still good info.

16. darkside879

i also have a pioneer headunit with bluetooth as a single din in my lil toyota work truck. They have several models with bluetooth! :)

17. Eye-p

Yes it is.

I personally like the Kenwood stuff rather than Pioneer, but they are comparable. I think they both offer a single DIN fold out version of these units as well.

18. scotth

scotth Banned

do you mind if I ask why you like the kenwood better, or even what the differences are? I am not a stereo-phile, so when I asked my friend, I understood about half of what he said.

19. Eye-p

A few reasons-

I like the Kenwood interface/GUI better. I like the iPod access better as well. NAV controls seem better, though it has been a year or so since I played with the Pioneer.
    I also liked the built in DSP (digital sound processing) with the Kenwood. For a full NAV type system, it has audio-phile quality features in it which I wanted.

Both are good systems to be honest. Get what you like. :up: