1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Guoseph, May 25, 2001.

1. eddiek

eddiek extreme enterprises

just say you are and we can handle the rest later.

2. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Uh, not trying to be difficult here, but didn't Toyota come out with an all new, full sized, V8 equiped pick up that is not only cheaper than the equivalent Dodge but also won the Motor Trend Truck Of The Year award? Doesn't seem to get more "real" than that [​IMG]

3. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

My present tow vehicle is a '94 Ram 250 (NOT 2500) conversion van with a 318. I'd prefer the 360 for obvious reasons, but this van turned up at the right time at the right price. Laurie, you're so right, they suck at steering, but do OK pulling a 19' travel trailer. Then again, they are not made to set a track record at TGPR. [​IMG] They do best when it's 2 AM and it's some one else's turn to drive. Just hop in the bed! It's nice to be able to walk around in the beast not bent over at the waist.

They also suck at hauling stuff inside the van. No real cargo room, just barely enough for the rain clouds I'm required to carry.
    [​IMG]

Can't complain about tow capacity, though. My 5' x 8' enclosed trailer hardly feels like it's there when loaded with bikes, and there is not a heavy hit on gas mileage. The bigger camper does let you know it's there. I don't use OD when pulling that one, so mileage drops to about 12 mpg.

My first choice for a transporter would be an F-250 supercab diesel, then the Dodge 2500 diesel would be in the picture. BTW, there are a number of guys (like JU, Tray Batey) who use a Dodge with a Cummins diesel as a tow vehicle. Check RRW about 2 years ago for an article about tow vehicles. I think it was Tray's Dodge and SBR's Ford that were featured.

If an F-350 can haul Chris' butt, it'l haul anything. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Rain Director (edited 05-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rain Director (edited 05-26-2001).]

4. THEPLASTICDR

THEPLASTICDR Well-Known Member

I just traded my 96 GMC 4wd sub for a new GMC 2500 HD 4wd x cab. Man is it strong! I need the 4wd to pull my camper out of my yard. with the 2wd pickup i would get stuck in my yard, that is embarassing!

5. wera122

wera122 Guest

That's right GSXRGIRL, I've had good luck with my Dodge trucks. Last year I used the 4L V6 to tow a 6x10 enclosed trailer and 1 bike. I never had any mechanical problems with it and only had to do the standard oil change, tires, etc. type maintenance.

This year since I'm towing 2 bikes (same trailer) and tons of extra stuff, I upgraded to the 5L V8 Quad Cab with the towing package and heavy duty package which includes tranny and oil coolers among other cool stuff. Both of them are 2WD since I never do any off-roading.

I've always received great service from Keffer Dodge here in Charlotte and plan to keep going back. Beth and I just got back from a major month of road trips and on the last one back to PA I averaged 25mpg on the highway without the trailer. Not bad for that big motor. [​IMG]

6. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

Hey Plastic Dr. Do you do repairs on street plastic? When's the next race you will be at?

Thanks

7. THEPLASTICDR

THEPLASTICDR Well-Known Member

street plastic is what i do best!
    email [email protected]
    home 770-443-0032
    cell 770-634-6755

[This message has been edited by THEPLASTICDR (edited 05-27-2001).]

8. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

First tow vehicle: Dodge Dakota, 5.2L V8. Towed great... when it wasn't in the shop. Bought new, was in shop 5 times in 6 months for various problems. Dodge also isn't keen on actually fixing anything without an argument. The bad apple theory is inverse on the Dodge Dakota/Durango product line... basically, there's only a few good ones out there.

Drove it to Toyota dealer, bought V8 Tundra. LOVE IT. 27k miles, about half of which are towing a 7x16 dual-axle enclosed trailer. Runs great, no probs, tows like a champ.

- Roach

9. aod99

aod99 Administrator

Towing Towing Towing.

Basically anything can handle a three rail with a couple bikes on it.

Enclosed trailers are a lot heavier and have much greater wind resistance and, unless the trailer has it's own brakes, can easily overtax the braking system of the tow vehicle.

The more you learn about Gross Combined Weight Ratings, the rating on the rear axle of a lot of trucks and the whole braking issue, the scarier all the towing stuff gets.

First start with brakes. If the enclosed trailer doesn't have brakes (which it really should) you want at least 12' X 3' drums in the rear or (if not big honking disks). You probably won't find those on one of the smaller trucks.

If you have to climb hills (which you probably will), you'll want at least 200hp/300 ft torque and the strongest transmission with the biggest tranny cooler you can find.

IMHO - full one-ton vehicles are really the best for towing for the brakes and powertrains.

On trailer hitches, basically everything tows (and stops and steers) much better with a weight distributing hitch. They cost about $250 and reduce weight on the rear wheels of the tow vehicle and increase the weight on the front wheels which improves steering and (again) stopping.

After towing motorcycles for 16 years (and, say, 300,000 miles) with many set-ups with many varied people (and short of a semi) the superior solution is an enclosed trailer (with brakes) and a one-ton van (preferably with a chipped turbo diesel motor) and a weight distributing hitch.

Duallies pull a little better than SRW (if a van wasn't towing as well as a normal 4 wheel pick up there was probably a deficiency in the suspension or alignment) but pick ups in general have less sleeping room. Sleeping room on the long overnight drives is crucial for swing driving, camping or sleeping at the track when you get there the night before.

Obviously vans won't work for really big trailers which require a goose neck trailer hitch...but many folks determine that at that size the one ton pick-ups aren't really up to the task either.

Now, all of this is a bit of a digression. The dakota looks like a nice truck. Check the empty weight of the trailer (say 1500 #) you want to buy and add up the weight of the gear you want to put in it (2 bikes, tools, fuel, wheels, parts, gear = 1500# easy). Calculate the tongue weight - (say 1000 lbs). That maxes out a 1/2 tons truck...with the bed empty. Unless the trailer has excellent brakes you will not be able to stop quickly on a wet surface in an emergency.

This is all just a suggestion that the whole towing game is more complicated than we usually think.

10. DucSoup63

DucSoup63 Guest

The only thing i could possibly add to that is personal experience. I used a Dakota with a V-8 (5.6L i think) and the extended cab for 2 years. Usually just put the bike in the back, but occasionally pulled a trailer with 2 bikes and gear. I'd heard about Dodge transmissions and wondered when that one was going to give out, but it never did. No problems of any kind. Traded it for a Ram and wish i hadn't. One of the few cars or trucks i've owned that i've actually recommended to my friends. And if that's not enough, it fun to drive too.

11. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

Does anybody own a Nissan Exterra? We are really looking to get rid of the Durango.

12. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

Drove one, felt really underpowered for some reason, but that was when I was back in West Virginia. and our hills have humbled many a vehicle.

for 2002 Nissan is coming out with a supercharged Xterra. Maybe I should wait on the purchase [​IMG]

13. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

check out GM's new 2002 Envoy/Trailbalzer/Bravada. it comes with a new straight-6 with variable valve timing. it has more torque and HP than the small V-8's they put in the full size p/u's. Seriously go check them out... you may be surprised and right now the olds Bravada version has really low financing and I think they are even doing 5 year warranties.... GM really wants to sell them [​IMG].

14. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

Does that Supercharged Exterra come with a Supercharged MSRP?

Thanks Wrenn. It's worth going to look at for a 5 year warranty and low financing.

15. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

Probably.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think Kelly Collopy (works for JU & Keith) does. He bought some Nissan thing last year or so.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wish the Trailblazer had come out before the boss lady bought her Aztek. I think I could have actually talked her into it (and I wouldn't feel this odd need for a disguise every time we go somewhere in her car).

18. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

We thought that was your disguise!! [​IMG]

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

[​IMG]

Mornin Tracee.... [​IMG]

20. Hubbard

Hubbard Puff... Puff... Give...

So it's you...

Everytime we see one of those damn Azteks on the road, we laugh and say "who in the heck would buy one of those". Now we know... [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Hubbard (edited 05-30-2001).]