1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transporting Aircraft via Ferry Permit?

Discussion in 'General' started by KWyman133, Sep 29, 2014.

1. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Hey guys...

Recently sold a vintage plane that my grandfather (Harv) owned. Quick backstory - Grandpa Harv battled bladder cancer and subsequently had kidney failure late in his life. He died this past June during one of his dialysis treatments. He was 92.

(http://www.roadracingworld.com/news...her-of-pro-racers-cody-kyle-and-travis-wyman/)

I posted an ad yesterday morning to sell his 1947 Luscombe 8A. Just that afternoon I got a call from a man in Virginia. 88 years old, still flies, and desperately interested in the plane. He can't come up to NY to look at it because he goes in for dialysis 3 days a week. I swore I was getting a call from Grandpa Harv himself...

I couldn't think of a more fitting buyer, or a new home for Harv's pride and joy. He already sent me a deposit, and now we are in the process of figuring out how to transport it.

The plane is currently out of registration (but in my name), and last annual was done on 6/6/2013. We are trying to figure out the quickest way to transport it down to the Richmond, VA area from Rochester, NY. It's my understanding that you must have a current registration to obtain a ferry permit, but that can take up to three weeks to renew, just to then transfer it to the buyer anyway?

Any input from the all-knowing beeb?

2. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Separate the wing and fuselage and ship it by truck.

3. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

Call the local FAA FSDO and ask them. They are the ones that will issue the permit.

4. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

You can give the Rochester Faa fsdo office a call.

585-436-3880

5. speedracer170

speedracer170 Well-Known Member

What Rally said, my buddy has done this a few times now

6. KWyman133

Definitely a good idea, however the buyer has also bought the OTHER Luscombe 8A we had which was wrecked - I plan on trailering that one and meeting the airworthy plane down there, then giving my pilot a ride back home.

Is it worth disassembling and trailering the good one as well to avoid the legal obstacles?

7. speedracer170

speedracer170 Well-Known Member

Just asked my buddy and he said give the local FAA a call, He said they can still allow a ferry if the annual wasn't current.

8. KWyman133

The only problem is the registration isn't current either - and OKC predicts about 3 weeks before they could process a renewing.

I'm checking out the plane and the feasibility of removing the wings right now.

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Night flight at a low altitude. Seems to work for the Mexican dope cartels.

10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Should he also buzz the pentagon?

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Only if he wants to be shot down. :tut:

12. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Just fly it where it needs to go. Ferry permits are for fairies.

13. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

That is a negative ghost rider.

14. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

If you have what it takes to Rollie a Harley on the banking at Datyona, you can fly a Luscombe on a little cross country without the proper paperwork. just sayin.

15. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

Sent our title service info to your phone. let me know if you don't get it.
    tim

16. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

:crackup:

17. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

:crackup: This. Don't have an accident and no one will ever know.

18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Who was doing the annual inspections while the plane was being maintained? His signature and probably phone number is in the logbook.

I would call that person, they can probably give you the sign off required for the ferry permit. As for the registration, as the others have said call the feds. But if the "closing" takes place before the ferry flight, the new owner can get a temporary I believe. So that would solve that problem.

Are you the pilot? If you get ramp checked by the FAA (you have a greater chance of winning the lottery) they would have to subpoena the logbooks to find out that the plane is out of annual (Even more unlikely). They do ask for your registration, license and medical. In 20 years I have had maybe 10 encounters with FAA inspectors, and 9 of those were at the airline. Once I landed at Tamiami airport in Miami while an FAA convention was going on. Ramp check took about 5 minutes.

19. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I think the problem is going to being just dealing with the faa after that fire.

20. Chip

Chip Registered

You and I can do it...

[​IMG]