1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Translogic QS and Blip Issue - 08 R6

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Schwiz, May 6, 2019.

1. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

I bought the Translogic iS4 and Blip for my 08 R6 and got it all installed. In the installation instructions, it says for most Yamaha models that you need to take the connector that hooks up to coil#1 and swap the wires. I did as the instructions requested and installed both units. When installing the blipper, it piggy backs off of coil #1 and I made sure that the QS plug is connected to the coil, then connected the blipper plug, then connected the OE harness to the system so that the blipper is sitting behind the QS in terms of connection order.

When I start the bike it runs fine. The warmup feature works great. However, when I get on the throttle above 4k rpm's and let off the bike cuts power to cylinders #1 and #4 and then dies. The bike then throws a code saying that there is something wrong with the ignition coils #1 and #4.

I'm wondering if I got the wire swap on coil #1 wrong or if I further need to modify the blip harness as well. If you have this unit on an 08-16 R6, did you have to swap the wires like I did? I attached the install instructions for reference. Kind of scratching my head here as I did just as the diagrams suggested, but clearly there is still something wrong here. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

Its been a year since I did mine, but I did have to swap the wires. I don't remember if it was, all 4 plugs or just for cylinders 1&2 though.

Id call their US customer service. They're very responsive.

Schwiz likes this.
  3. ar556

ar556 Active Member

I just installed both on a 2012. I had to swap the 2 wires (just for the one coil). It’s not supposed to matter, but I put the connection for the blipper at the opposite end of the harness to the coils from that one.

If you have a flashed ECU, expect to have to turn down the blip duration too. Out of the box, it was lunging forward pretty aggressively on down shifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, your blipper is placed closest to the OEM harness and furthest from coil #1?

Also, thanks for the tip on the blip duration. Did you make that adjustment using the pro-tuner settings on the blip unit itself?

Thanks!!

5. ar556

ar556 Active Member

Correct, sitting on the bike, I have the yellow dotted QS connector that you swap the wires in on #4 / far right. On #1 / far left, I have the QS harness connected to the coil, the blip assist harness plugged into that, then the OE harness plugged into the blip assist harness.

Yeah, you have to do the pro tuner mode to make adjustments. It’s kind of a PITA, you have to go through every setting every time in order to make/save your changes. The advice I got for adjusting it was to take away flashes from each rpm band until it’s hard / doesn’t want to downshift, then add one flash back to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

Translogic customer support still hasn't gotten back to me, but it shouldn't matter. I believe I figured out the issue. There is a little yellow clip that holds the wires in the plug in place. That yellow clip didn't make it back on plug #1 and therefore the wires backed out just enough to not make contact with the harness. I had an extra coil harness so I borrowed one of the small yellow clips from that, and reinstalled everything and we're back in business. Thanks guys!!!

MELK-MAN and badmoon692008 like this.
  7. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

Not to bring up an old thread but I just did this install yesterday and will be racing this weekend so want to be sure I got this right. I did read about swapping the wires for coil #1 but that was in the QS instructions (for certain bikes). When looking over the AB instructions, not swapping that wire matches exactly what the AB instructions show when looking at the color diagram of install.

I was not able to really test bike as I live in neighborhood where ripping through the gears is frowned upon but I was able to confirm QS works and AB works. Does anyone know if that wire that absolutely needs to be swapped? I'm worried my slow speed test may not tell me if I have any issues. However, if I were to swap that wire it would not match the picture in the AB instructions...

The warm-up feature works fine. I also used the low beam connector instead of my brake switch.

My bike is a 2011 R6.

Thanks in advance!

8. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

So I did reach out to Translogic and got a response stating that I did NOT need to swap any wires if any of you are wondering or doing this install yourself... The older versions required the wire swap but not the most current revision.

Kudos to Translogic's customer support!!!

jpratt847 and Juanpsi like this.
  9. jpratt847

jpratt847 Well-Known Member

Sweet! I was wondering If I was going to need to do this.