1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transit Connect Van

Discussion in 'General' started by rafa, Oct 29, 2021.

1. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Has anyone used one to haul the bike to race weekends? How did you like it?

I want a small van I can still fit inside of the garage, I keep seeing them on the highway I got intrigued. I am not sure if they are long enough. Im pretty sure it wouldnt fit with a pitbull mounted the regular way, but maybe it would with it fitted backwards.

The Nissan NV200 would also be an option

upload_2021-10-29_7-56-39.png

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Astro van FTW, baby. Nothing says old school (Broome-era) than rolling in an Astro to the races.

cosan and ChemGuy like this.
  3. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

I would check head height, at the doors. Might be tight for the windscreen, especially if you have an older bike that tends to have a bigger windscreen.

4. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Some time ago, Ford (??) loaned one to AHRMA Guy Kenny Cummings from NYC Norton to drive to races (NYC to Barber I think).....Kenny wrote an article about it for some publication, car and driver I think....year was around 2009.

I did a quick search but came up empty.

1 thing I do remember is he had the front wheel of the bike up inbetween the front seats....van was short.

5. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Okay they serve a purpose..... Small, economical.

However...I'm not too sure you can get a sport bike in one? There is more clearance on the newer versions that have a talker roofline, but even then might not be talk enough. Length wise...if I recall less than 7'..so that's a real problem.

It is what it is but they are quite underpowered I go through wheel bearings a lot and the transmissions are $4,000 or more a pop and they love to eat transmissions do some research before you buy on the model and year. Transmissions are a well known issue.

I don't know anything about the Nissan NVs.

If you're tight for space probably be better off getting a folding Kendon trailer w quick-releaseramp andt box less space way less money.

I don't think you'd get one in an old Astro van easily either I've had a few of them maybe a small 2 stroke? I don't know I'm not into taking windscreens and folding handlebars anything like that too much of a hassle for me and any one of those you have reliability issues anyways and they're all pushing 20 25 years old so they're going to break I have a Ford diesel E-350.. I can't get two of my motorcycles even in the back of that beast.

Also my recommendation don't even think of putting the bike in there without driver protection anything ever happens you regret it like the end of the world what you just might be...lol

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

t11ravis likes this.
  7. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

I remember doing a Vegas round a couple years ago. The guy had it for his job and was company supplied. He did fit a full size bike in it then slept in it at night. Was a very economical solution in my opinion.

rafa likes this.
  8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

From what I have seen online, height isnt an issue, length could be.

Currently I do pull an open trailer, but I want a place I can sleep in that is not a tent.

Sucks to hear about wheel bearings and transmission, figured as work vehicles they would be fairly reliable.

I dont want an old astro van or a big van. I hate working on cars with a passion, the last thing I need is having to replace rusted out parts on a $2000 van. My friend had an astro which he used to haul his SV650 to races.
    [​IMG]

9. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

10. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

2005-2010 Honda Odyssey, problem solved. I've hauled 4 CBR 600 F2/F3 in mine, do have to remove the windscreen though. Middle seats come out and you can use the seat mounting points to secure the bike, rear seats fold flat into the floor. Tons of space, can fit 2 bikes if the need arises.

IMG_9898.JPG

FastByKids likes this.
  11. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Ive hauled my zx10 on a Dodge Caravan in the past, did have to remove the windscree though. But the Connect seems to have a lot more head room.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Problem with the Transit Connect XLT is the length of the bed.
    I can get 6 bicycles in with no problem. But it's 4" too short to be able to load 4x8 lumber/drywall with doors closed.
    Word is the 2023 might be put on the same platform as Transit Custom which is sold overseas.
    Should anyone want some 18"s I have some for sale :) Transit Helo 845s.JPG

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

ResizerImage1500X1000.jpg

14. CharlieY

Kenny was hauling a custom Norton racebike, fully faired......as far as comparing length to a modern racebike, the Norton should be close. (???)

He wasnt hauling a small vintage 350 or something.

rafa likes this.
  15. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  16. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I will have to look into those, metris sounds interesting. Will check dimensions and compare to the garage.

17. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

18. CharlieY

I looked at a Metris a few years back.....even went and did a test drive.

I was impressed. Lil 4 cyl turbo.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

A Seeley Commando. Seeley framed machines have quite a long wheelbase compared to other bikes of the same period but I think they might still be shorter than a modern one.

20. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

This (cargo - foreground) was my transport for a longtime.

Manual tranny & mid-engine, Vrooom! (No real advantage, just like saying it)

Everything was packed snug & tightly!

[​IMG]

Phl218, FastByKids and rice r0cket like this.