1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tranny Question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MightyDuc Racing, Apr 8, 2003.

1. MightyDuc Racing

MightyDuc Racing By Land, Air, and Sea

Posted a while back on my buddy's 92 EX500 tranny jumping into neutral when decelerating. We bought the pro-Tec upgrade retention spring and installed it this weekend. The bike quit jumping out of gear, but still has a little slip as you decelerate. All of a sudden today the bike is stuck in 2nd gear. Any ideas as to why and/or suggextions to fix. He only paid $900 for the bike, so not looking to dump a bunch of money into it. Anybody got a used EX500 tranny for sale cheap??? Help.

TIA

2. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

3. exmutant1

exmutant1 Well-Known Member

Ya got's ta take it apart to see whats broke (could be several thinkgs, shifting fork, drum, or something on one of the shafts preventing side to side movement) If you figure it out, yes, I have parts, I broke lots of top ends, not many transmissions :D But it is probably cheaper to just buy a motor out of a wreck. Don't pay more than $100 bucks for it. Swapping motors only takes an hour or two in an EX (several of us did it between two races at Nelson a couple of years ago, say 35 minutes).

Tim

4. MightyDuc Racing

Know where I can get my hands on a motor for $100? Please let me know if you do.

Thanks again!

5. MightyDuc Racing

Hopefully it's fixed...nut on the shift arm backed off...we'll see how it goes now, but it's still slipping a little.

Thanks!