1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer roofs and AC units

Discussion in 'General' started by sbk1198, Nov 11, 2018.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Before I attempt something stupid, figured I'd ask people that are more knowledgeable. Are typical enclosed trailer roofs strong enough to hold an average/slightly above average man? Figured I should cover up my AC unit for the off-season, but I'm not sure if roofs on these trailers are designed to be strong enough to hold a person. I've never had to climb up on a trailer before. It's got a finished ceiling so I don't know how it's built. I've seen some that just have aluminum sheet over steel studs which wouldn't seem strong enough. Mine is an 8.5x16 Diamond Cargo.

Is covering it even needed over the winter? I see a lot of people with RV's do it but is it really needed?

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

IMO covering it could do more damage than good trapping condensation...opinions may vary

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  3. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Fair point. But so, then why do people do it? I live in an area with very high humidity. Winters are fairly mild, not very many days below 30, and probably not gonna see below 20. I've been told it's good to cover them so you don't get leaves getting stuck there, but I kinda missed that boat now since about 80+% of the leaves around my house/driveway are already down lol

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I mean I probably wouldnt put all my weight on just the sheeting portion of the roof. If you stand on the framing not so much worry.
    If you're not wanting to stand on the roof...2 A frame ladders and a 2x12 make a good work platform off the side.
    Or you can lay a sheet of 3/4 plywood across the top and that should give you a sturdy work surface.

sbk1198 likes this.
  5. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

yes, lay a board or something across is best to work on the center vents, a/c, etc.

the roof frame will support a man but I would avoid standing right in the center and stay to one side or the other if you dont have a board or plywood.

sbk1198 likes this.
  6. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I never cover my trailer for winter. But if you want to just cover the a/c, put a sheet of ply on the roof from side to side as others said. What I did when I put the roof vent in. Since your's has AC, its gonna be braced better near the a/c. Usually they double up the roof bows for the a/c.

sbk1198 likes this.
  7. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

My trailer is only 7 foot i cover my ac in the winter saves uv on the cover keeps debris out of it.

I lay on the edges while standing on a ladder on each side.