1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trailer restraint system

Discussion in 'General' started by ajcjr, Dec 29, 2017.

1. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

So I have been reading through all the trailer restraint threads and installs. A couple of questions, when using the pit bull system, do you need anything for the front tire? Is it possible to use the TRS with e track like a condon setup? when building the trailer I was going to have etrack installed on the floor just in case, I will have to call and get the width of the TRS plate.

I am using the trailer for my track bike as well as dirt bike so wanted to have flexibility to use a few different restraint systems.

Thanks

2. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Nothing needed for front tire. Mount plates are installed to floor of your trailer. You could still have e-track installed as long as it's not interfering with where you need the TRS mount plates on the floor. The plates are not that wide at all. I don't see why you can't make it work without any issues.

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You can get pins for dirt bikes as well for the Pit Bull TRS arms.

ajcjr likes this.
  4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

150,000 miles of towing with Pitbull TRS .. 2 bikes. Have never done anything with the front wheel. Roll it in, lock the 2 rear latches. Done.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

only down side to etrack on the floor is the dirt that gets trapped. The pit bull system is so nice even when you "carpool" with friends to the track! Give yourself about 32" for the standard bike width and you should have no issues! No need to combine it with any thing else!

6. MELK-MAN

favorite tool EVAHHH ! :)
    [​IMG]

7. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I just got one of these! Should be perfect for blow drying the bikes and blowing out the trailer.

8. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Nothing is needed, BUT yes you can.

You would put the bike in the front wheel stand, then slide the mounting plate under tire, connect the TRS then make your marks for the TRS PLATE.

Pull it all and then mount the plate.
    I used a cheap front wheel mount with TRS and then strap it down. IF the TRS ever let loose. (doubt it would ever happen) I have the tie downs and front wheel lashed.
    I'm sure it's way over kill, but I have hit some nasty pot holes and know the front wheel had to come off the trailer with just the TRS.

ajcjr likes this.
  9. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Someone on here was able to attach the TRS mounts to airline track. Try searching.

NemesisR6 and ajcjr like this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've never used anything on the front wheel and never had any issues. You can certainly choose to put a chock or some other restraint in there for the front wheel but its not needed and is just going to take up space when the bike is out of the trailer and you are using it for other things. Really the only purposes its going to serve is prevent the bars from turning from side to side a tad bit. I'm assuming you're not taking your trailer off any sweet jumps and have to worry about the front of the bike bouncing up and down in the TRS.

11. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

With a front wheel chock in the trailer (and TRS), if you run a smaller back sprocket or longer wheelbase at some tracks, you’re screwed. No?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I planned on running e track on either side and the middle of the floor. May be i will just run it 36 AFF instead to keep the dirt out.

13. MELK-MAN

there is just no need for a wheel chock with the trs, you are defeating the purpose of having such an awesome system. If you are gonna use a front wheel chock, why bother having the pitbull TRS. If bike is too long, just remove the chock... still can't grasp the reason for using a wheel chock with a pitbull trs though.

When i can't use the TRS, (friends bike, more bikes, etc). We just put soft straps over the lower triple, 2 tie downs in front, a 3rd pulling backwards through the rear wheel. (don't even bother with using a front wheel chock)

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I've done this way ever since I bought my toyhauler in 08. I even bought some pingle front wheel chocks and this way works so well I've never installed the three new chocks. I guess I'm lazy. :)

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Long story short...
    Guy secured his new bike in his van at the front only. Got t-boned leaving a gas station, van ended up on its side. Bike was hangin' out the window. If he had secured both ends of the bike, it wouldn't have gotten beat up.
    If he had a TRS, I imagine he coulda been fixin' a windscreen, upper fairing and fairing stay...maybe even the clocks.

I've not previously ever been a true fan of the TRS, but I've come around. Tired of trippin' over shit, and the bike taking a fall on the rare occasion while strappin' it in and then the chock takes out a brake rotor...
    TRS is cheaper than a rotor and/or a wasted weekend. I'd still put a strap across the triples, no chock necessary.

So, yeah, no reason not to lay some e-track.

mike-guy likes this.
  16. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

When no bolted mine onto the cheap harbor freight trailer that cost less then the TRS I pushed and pulled on the bike so violently to test it I cracked the trailer frame. Ok not really but seriously the greatest thing I’ve done for track prepping convenience.

17. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Then you're doing it all wrong.

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Obviously, there were occasions when it didn't go right. Thanks for pointing it out...I coulda never made that observation on my own. :p

SpeedyTide likes this.
  19. :stupid:

I have 3 of the Pitbull TRS in my trailer and the only thing I do is turn the handlebars away from the other bikes, then put a bungee cord from the clip-on to the rearset just to keep the bars turned away. It might not be necessary, but the bikes are very close together and I don't want to take any chances on scratching anything.

No worries with the E-Track. Ive got 3 strips in mine (down both sides, and one in the middle). Plus ive got some along both walls.

MELK-MAN and ajcjr like this.
  20. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Every time I see this thread title, I can't help but picture Cortez in a double-wide installing leather cuffs, chains, ball-gags and other marital aids.