1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trailer registration question

Discussion in 'General' started by compmoto, Jul 12, 2012.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It is illegal pretty much everywhere. There may be some states that are exceptions, but I am betting most states want their registration fee and taxes so they have laws to make sure you pay them and penalties or fines when you get caught not paying them. Just like speeding, the question you need to ask is what is the risk / reward ratio and is it personally worth it for you. If you get pulled over for speeding or you wind up in an accident even if it isn't your fault, that is where things could get messy for you. Tax evasion, fines, penalties, and insurance rule issues could all come into play depending on your state and insurance company. It is also possible nothing will happen at all depending on who investigates the accident or who pulls you over. Out of state, as in one different from your DL and tow vehicle, probably won't care as it isn't their tax money.

joec likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

totally valid points. didn't find nothing for NJ and Maine either, even though NJ loves it taxes.

Don't think auto insurance would void anything since you are the registered owner of the trailer, and if attached it's as if it was part of the vehicle I was told.

Tax evasion, fines, etc. ...more worried about getting to the track in the first place, everything else is gravy, and can be dealt with accordingly. Pretty sure not going to jail for the trailer.

3. joec

joec brace yourself

You could register in Maine. Get the paperwork you need, then register in your state legally. In the case of importing.

Ducti89 likes this.
  4. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Its one of the New England states you can apply for a title there and then transfer it to your home state. A friend lost a title to a motorcycle and did that.

Hes kosher now.

5. joec

joec brace yourself

I think it's easier to export to Canada than to import in from though.I do know a couple of gamma owners though.

6. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

3000 and under GVWR don't need plates in WI. I have one though on my 6x12 2990lb GVWR just because it cuts down on getting pulled over in IL for no plates on trailer (IL requires plates on ANY trailer). $37.50/yr.