1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer layout for 6x12

Discussion in 'General' started by SlingWing, Jul 19, 2021.

1. SlingWing

SlingWing Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm looking for ideas on how to set up a 6x12 V nose for 3 bikes using pit bull restraints.

I'm assuming 2 forward, and 1 to the rear is optimal. Just not sure where to position the mounts. Interior width is 5'10", and I have cabinets installed in the front V portion. The trailer is a single axle, and most of the time I'll only be towing one bike (but I may be towing 3 bikes some times).

Any ideas for optimal mounting locations or set ups? Pics welcome.

Thanks

2. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I did two bikes side by side but it’s a 7.5’x12’ v-nose similar to yours. I wish I had put the bikes a little further forward for better hitch weight / balance. As is, I have to put heavy stuff up front, tool box and generator and such, to have the trailer tow better (eliminate the porpoising over bumps). I could move the TRS a bit but I haven’t convinced myself to drill another set of holes yet. Also note I don’t roll with a big toolbox. I try to keep that minimal.

[​IMG]

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I have a 6x12 v nose and can do one bike in the V and two over the axle. In the back one faces the tailgate and is in a wheel chock so the front tire is just touching the door when it closes. I don’t have any cabinets though.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

divy the floor space up by square footage. For a single bike just put it centered over the axle. 2 bikee same and the 3rd in the V Need roughly 18 sq ft of floot space per bike and you can easily fit 2 side by side with 70" between walls

5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i did one backwards at the nose of the v-nose, and the other two side by side at the ramp. 6x12

6. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I basically have that setup, 7'x12' with a v-nose, 3 bikes with Pit Bull TRS's. The bike opposite the small side door goes facing forward with the front tire at the start of the v, as close to the wall as possible, the clip-on is ~1" from the wall. The second bike faces forward on door side, as close as it can to the wall, with the front tire just behind the door opening. The third bike goes in the middle width wise, facing rearward in the best position front to back to provide the most clearance between the bikes. Unfortunately I don't have a picture.

7. SlingWing

Great advice guys. I’ll probably have to get 3 bikes into it to figure this out

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Ideally you want the majority of the weight to be over the axles (i.e. position 2 bikes in the back). You want to balance the weight in the trailer front to back so that there isn't excessive weight over the tongue, nor excessive in the rear pulling up on the tongue. This is why trailers have a listed tongue weight.

Have a read if not familiar: https://rvshare.com/blog/trailer-tongue-weight-how-to-measure-calculate-it/

9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Is it a single axle? My 6x12 is a single axle rated for 3500 lb. Trailer weighs about 1000 empty. I do roll with a big tool box, but with 2 bikes, tools, and Grom I'm probably overloaded.

DmanSlam likes this.
  10. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

and get a weight distribution hitch!

11. SlingWing

Yeah, single axle.

Thanks for the link. I was looking for something like that. Surprised there's not an online configurator or planner to use. Seems like that would be very useful

12. SlingWing

It’s gonna look something like like this. The cabinets in the front will prevent me from mounting a bike too far forward. The floor will be covered in coin.

Attached Files:

13. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

For a 6x12? What are you towing it with? A Chevette?

14. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

my 6x12 single axle is pulling with an SUV that has a 5,000 towing capacity.
    once i installed the $200 harbor freight WD hitch, my SUV was no longer sagging, i could brake and accelerate better, and i gained 1 MPG towing.
    it was a no brainer for me.

now if the OP is pulling a 6x12 with a full size truck, it's useless. but when i think of small (single axle) trailers, i think of small towing rigs.

15. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

Those are beautiful cabinets. Who made em and how much? I'm looking to pimp out my trailer.

16. SlingWing

Rugbydad likes this.
  17. SlingWing

I'm planning on putting a portable AC unit in the bottom cabinet but not permanently installed. Just open the door, pull it out a few inches and turn it on. The breaker panel will be inside the lowers as well. Figured this was a better option than the extremely expensive roof AC.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A typical rooftop unit is <$700 delivered all day long add another $150 for the required plug/wire/breaker. Its always out of the way on the roof.

dobr24 and DmanSlam like this.
  19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Assuming you don’t have to upgrade the roof to support it.

20. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

@2blueYam , you have a point there. But, still, it's out of the way and always set up. Moving stuff around, setting it up and then re-stowing/securing gets old. The cabinet/floor space can be used for something else, esp in a 6x12.

Wheel Bearing and TurboBlew like this.