1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trailer insurance / home owners ins ????

Discussion in 'General' started by jp233, Apr 13, 2006.

1. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "member"

ok, so since we bought a crib in Roswell GA (fuck yes, fuck maryland) we are shopping for insurance. Liberty Mutual said my trailer would not be covered by HOI. not sure exactly what nationwide, state farm, etc said since my fiance is handling this crap but i wanted to ask a few racers about insurance w.r.t trailers sitting in the driveway.

I assumed the trailer would be covered by the home policy while sitting in the driveway (I did have a big ass tree fall and crush my truck 2 years ago and this house is surrounded by big trees - so I definitely want the trailer covered), and covered by my auto policy anytime it was hitched up to the truck.

whats the deal ???? any advise welcomed in advance.

2. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

So its official, you are moving south? Rosewell, is about 20 min from me. Where at?

I dont think HOI will cover anything that has a VIN. As far as I know its your trucks insurance that will cover a trailer if in a road accident.

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I bought a seperate policy from my auto insurer.

4. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Your trucks insurance will cover you for liability on the trailer but nothing else. I have my trailer added on to my car/ truck policy and it costs about 10 bucks every six months or so. Contents (leathers, tools etc.), except for bikes, should be covered by homeowners.

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Not true, my insurance paid me $500 for my trailer
    :(

6. unoigo817

unoigo817 Well-Known Member

Another question, sorry to thread jack but if one has a race bike w/ MSO how do you go about getting it insured for theft, etc.? I've never had insurance on mine as I assume HOI would cover it if it were stolen. It's kept in the garage by the way.

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

http://www.aceinsuranceservices.com/p03.cyclepage.html

8. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

My understanding is that the trailer is covered by the vehicle it's hitched to, and only then is it covered. My agent (State Farm) didn't seem to interested in insuring the trailer by itself... just mentioned that the tow vehicle coverage extends to the trailer when it's hitched, but does not cover the contents of the trailer.

9. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

10. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

A trailer doesn't have an engine...so it's cheap. Get the policy.

11. heavy penny

heavy penny I like to make slide

From talking to different companies, it seems that every state is different. My home owners covers the contents of the trailer except for any motor vehicles and does not cover the trailer. My auto policy does not cover the trailer or any of the contents. I have a seperate policy on my dirt bike which costs 90/year and have my trailer listed as a rider for 20/year extra. Insurance on the trailer alone was 100/year so I decided to insure the dirtbike for an extra 20 bucks. No insurance companies in Michigan will cover the race bike. Well, not sure if no companies will but all the big ones will not.

12. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

I have been in Roswell 5 years, used to be carried by one of the companies you listed... Have your fiancé check Travelers, you might find your happier with the cost... (I can give you my agents #) Can't say about the trailer coverage... you should be able to get a rider to cover it for a few $

Drop me a PM.... Roswell is not a big place....

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  13. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

State Farm... Like a good neighbor my ass... they will steal your premiums and F*&% you over in the end... Cut your premium by 35% and get real coverage .. get REAL insurance.... (Travelers has the best rates in Roswell)

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I doubt it's cheap. The subject was brought up last year, and I copied the addy.Have not called.

15. Wizard

Wizard Well-Known Member

I have state Farm the first blow off answer they gave me was its covered under my truck policy, but thats if i ram someone with it.

if someone hits it and destroys the bikes you are SOL.

I asked about insurance and was going to buy insuranc eon the trailer but it did not cover the stuff inside.

and i got to dam lazy and my ADD set in before i got another quote

16. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "member"

roger that folks, thanks for the info i'm definitely digging deeper on this one.

haha i should tell them the trailer is broken and it will be on blocks, sitting in the driveway, so it will be just like a shed and should be covered by HOI :)

17. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Liability ins on your tow vehicle will cover you if you cause an accident while towing with your trailer.

You'll need to buy coverage for the trailer itself for collision, theft, and fire. I pay $11 per year on a 2005 Haulmark with a $500 deductible.

Homeowners MIGHT cover a percentage of the value of what is inside (often only 10% if the property is damged or stolen when off your home premises), but maybe not. Read your policy and/or confirm with your agent in writing what it does cover.

And I doubt that a home owner's policy would ever cover a race bike. You'll need a specific policy for that.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  18. Wizard

Wizard Well-Known Member

doyle, what you have covers your trailer only, not the equipment in it correct?

19. Shyster d'Oil

Yes.

20. Shyster d'Oil

News Flash: $28 for fire, theft, vandalism per year.

And State Farm says that my personal property is covered 100% even when off my premises. :clap: