1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trailer experts - sway problem

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Ever since I replaced the rear axle on my trailer, I've been getting a lot of sway. I tried adding a friction sway control, but its still pretty unbearable.

I measured the axles, and they are uneven by 9/16th of an inch when its unhitched, 1/4 inch when its hitched. I assume the difference is due to the way torsion axles flex.

I went to the shop today, and they said that they usually get axles within 1/16th of an inch. However he stated that the rear axle is not the reason for my sway - its the front axle. The rubber inside it is worn, and this wear is evident by looking at the camber. The left tire has positive camber, and the right tire has negative camber.

I don't want to spend $645 to replace this axle, but I will if its truly the cause of my issue.

They did let me hook up a larger trailer (mine is a 16 X 7) to ensure that it wasn't my truck. It pulled just fine.

Any experts here that can confirm this would be my problem?

2. Ontheedgeprsprt

Ontheedgeprsprt Pumpkin riders

What was the problem with the old axle? Are you pulling it with the same truck as before?

3. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Normally adjusting tongue weight will change the way a trailer tows.

4. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I lost a bearing, and it damaged the spindle. Unfortunately, I had to replace the entire axle.

I would think so, but I never had any issues with this trailer prior to buying a new axle. I could pull it loaded or unloaded and never had any sway.

5. silent_R1

silent_R1 Well-Known Member

rich,
    would replacing the other axle possibly fix this problem?

I, admittedly, do not know much about trailers/axles/etc, so I am asking to further my own knowledge and maybe provide something which may not have been thought of.

6. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Thats what the trailer shop suggested, but I want to make sure that will solve the issue before I spend $645 on another axle.

7. silent_R1

silent_R1 Well-Known Member

Don't blame you at all on that one. saving money=good.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Big difference between a 1/16th and a 1/4 inch. I'd spend some time making sure they are square to the trailer and in alignment with one another.

9. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Would being 1/4 inch off cause sway?

10. Coke in can

Coke in can Banned

No way the front axle can be adjusted to match the rear axle? why do you have such bad camber, is the front axle toast?

11. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

my experience with misaligned axles is that the trailer will constantly try to pull to one side and create drag as the tires scrub. the trailer is trying to align itself with the arc that the misaligned axles are describing.
    i would not call it sway.

sway would be the trailer wagging the dog(tow vehicle).
    put more weight forward of the axles.

13. Venom51

If all 4 wheels are constantly trying to go in different directions than yes it can.

14. Venom51

But yoru misaligned axles and the trialer constantly trying toalign itselfcombined with the flexing of tire sidewalls on both the trailer and tow vehicle can set up that oscillation.

15. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the axles are welded on. No adjustment can be done.

I'm not sure why the camber is so bad, I'm told that there are rubber components in the axle that are wearing out.

I tried that last weekend, and it was still a scary 250 mile drive. Even if that was a solution, the trailer used to pull just fine when it was empty.

16. Venom51

So go back to when it worked well. Before the axle replacement. The axle is out of a lignment and causing the issue. The only solution is to cut it loose, square it to the other axle and re-weld it.

17. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly, which is why I went back to the trailer shop. However they are contending that the misalignment is not causing the issue - its the condition of my other axle. I'm told that its wear wouldn't be an issue except that I now have one good (although misaligned) and one bad axle. The older worn axle being used in conjunction with the new one is the problem.

If they really are correct - I'll buy a new axle. If they are trying to get out of fixing their mistake - I'll get the axle rewelded.

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

yeah, i guess.
    mine wasn't that bad...it was closer to driving a vehicle with a really bad front end, 'cept you felt it in the rear.
    my axles were out 5/16" on a 6.5x17.

rich, before you do anything, you know the old saying, "measure twice-cut once." for 645$, i'd make sure of the measurements by doing them myself on the absolute flattest ground i could find(cement slab?)

you can do it supported by the jackstand if it's on the centerline of the trailer. if not, hitch it or use a ball stand and set the tongue to the hitch height.

- pull the wheels on the front axle to measure how true(square) it is to the ball socket from the spindles...the tires get in the way of accuracy.
    - measure the distance from the trailer frame to the floor at each rear corner...kinda like a "sag" measurement for the rear axle. you're looking for side to side differences.
    - put the trailer on jackstands out back and pull the rear wheels to measure the f/r spindle to spindle difference.
    - measuring the height of each spindle might tell ya sumthin, too, like, the front axle is twisted/sacked.
    - put the front wheels back on and remove the jackstands out back. what's the sag like for the front axle?

if it comes down to axle misalignment and that alone, "they" have a job to finish, correctly.
    otherwise, i feel you may be in need of another new axle but, at least you'll know for sure you need it.

19. sdg

sdg *

I'm not buying the camber explanation. Sounds like they're trying to weasel out of fixing their mistake.

Put the trailer on jackstands and pull all four tires...see if you can get something reasonably straight (square tube) across one wheel flange and see what the alignment looks like with respect to the other flange on each side. Betcha you can cut & reweld and you'll be fine.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is that $645 for labor too? I replaced the axle on my 7x16 (non brake one) and it was only $120 for the assembly