1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tragedy this Weekend

Discussion in 'General' started by UGA Dawg, May 12, 2002.

1. wera516

wera516 I am not BC61

Our deepest sympathy goes out to Martin and his family, may God be with them in their time of need and mourning. Always remember that he will be watching over you from a much better place.

Andrew and Denise

Godspeed Martin

Could someone please forward the families address to my E-mail..

2. Czar

Czar Well-Known Member

We at WERA are sorry to hear of Martin's passing. I met him in Paige and Michael's pit at Talladega and he was a really nice man - into racing and had a whole bunch of enthusiasm for the sport and the people in it.

I believe very much in fate (couldn't do what I do if I didn't) and God had Martin's life mapped out from the day he was born and it was his time to go home. Death is hardest on families and friends and our thoughts and prayers are with Martin's family which includes the whole of WERA and his friends. Godspeed Martin.

Evelyne Clarke (WERA)

3. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to post for about 24 hours now, and couldn't think of what I thought was the right thing to say. After talking with Paige this morning and reading everything that has been put on this board, I have an opinion about this

God puts angels on this earth to teach, protect, guide, motivate, and generally just help out. From what I can see, this guy did just that. Everyone that has had any sort of contact with him has raved about his ability to spread his enthusiasm, his ablility to make people feel comfortable in his presence. Like so many of you have already said, God has a plan for all of us, and its not our place to question it. That doesn't make it any easier to bear the lost of a friend or love one, but by listening to the people he got close to, I'm betting he's where many of us hope to be someday. Your opinion of what an angel is may differ from mine, but i'm betting dollars to donuts this young man impacted more lives than have shared on this BBS, and it would be safe to assume that a great number of people found happiness and motivation in just knowing him. Sounds to me like his work was done here, honor his memory by trying to do the same for others and find comfort in what's he's done and where he's going.

His family will be in our prayers, as will those of you who did everything you could to keep him with us.

Mark

Last edited: May 13, 2002
  4. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

:( I don't know what to say. I am in shock. I met Martin a couple of times, handed him his trophy at Carolina, had BBS conversations, etc. He posted here to see how Guo and I did last Tuesday when we (Guo and I) went riding out behind my warehouse here in Braselton. He asked if I showed Guo how to handle the red GA clay. I just can't believe this. :confused: What a heck of a nice guy. :(
    My prayers go out to his family and friends and to those who were there when this happened. I know everyone is deeply saddened.

GODSPEED MARTIN!!!
    WE WILL MISS YOU AND YOUR GREAT ENTHUSIASM

Jeff Wright
    WERA ANNOUNCER

5. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

I never had the pleasure of meeting him

Well said Tex. I was in the same boat and really didn't know what to say. Since I've been doing Nationals this year and haven't been to many regionals I never got to meet Martin. I will definitely do my best to honor his memory by sharing the same enthusiasm he had with everyone I come into contact with.

Godspeed Martin and I'll get to meet you some day. ;) Your family and friends are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

T o m

6. SVgoddess

SVgoddess Big Bad Love

I've only met Martin once. I've been reading these entries but could not place Martin. I had to ask Paige and I was shocked to learn who he was. Martin and I chatted during the rider's meeting at Roebling. Talked about why we were racing, how we got started; all the fun and exciting stories that every racer has to tell. He was such a sweetie of a guy. I was touched by his kindess. The odd thing was, he was alone, no one to help him out. I introduced him to Pam and it appears that his niceness has become very contagious. As with Preston, I wish I had more time. I liked Tex's post. Somehow, I think that he was an angel. ...just one moment is all it takes.

7. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member

In shock

I didn't even know Martin, but when I stood behind Don and read this thread I went into shock. Any time someone in our "family" passes away, it affects me greatly. I truly believe that everyone has their own predestined time to go and on that day, it just happened to be Martin's. Every time I hear of someone passing, it makes me realize how short life really is. It also makes me think how crazy I must be to participate in this sport. It is so dangerous and each of us leaves so much precious cargo behind. I don't know what I would do if something like this were to ever happen to me but I know that I could count on and lean on the family I have come to know through WERA.

Martin, for those of us who met you...we are blessed. For those of us who haven't...we shall meet you in due time.

God Bless Martin's family, and Godspeed Martin,

8. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

I had the great pleasure of meeting Martin at Roebling Road.

After the Lwt Solo 20 I was jawing with James Eldridge in his pit. Martin was pitted nearby and came over to introduce himself. All three of us promptly started bullsh!tting about the race, the track and everything else one yacks about with a boatload of adrenaline pumping through your veins.

He was a really nice guy. I was looking forward to catching up with him again. Here's to him and those that he leaves behind.

Salute!

9. RumbleTard

RumbleTard Well-Known Member

Unbelievable! I only talked to Martin a few times but I remember his words very well. I remember him making me feel really good about my accomplishments so far this year. He also shared some of his passion for this sport and how much he loved riding. DeeAnn and I will pray for his friends and family this will be a very difficult time for them.
    Is there a memorial fund to provide help for his family?
    I also want to say thank you to those who did there best to help a fellow rider...

10. ROACH_da_1st

ROACH_da_1st Well-Known Member

Tex:

Here is a link that backs up your feelings. The quality of the recording is rather poor, but it's the only site that I could find that has a vocal rendition, although reading the words alone are powerful in themselves. This song was performed @ Dale Earnhardt's memorial service.

http://www.mollieb.com/angelsamongus.html

You may have to play with the link a bit to get it to work.

jcr

11. Empty Pockets Racing

Empty Pockets Racing where's my collar bone?

Martin's family is in our prayers.
    Godspeed Martin.

12. Luckystrike

Luckystrike Well-Known Member

Never met him... but did exchange a few words with him on the BBS. It's heartbreaking to hear of a fellow roadracer passing away and it makes me wonder why God takes the good ones first. Just know that he's in a better place. :(

13. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

Lee, John,

Please help represent me at the funeral. I cannot be there as I just had to get out of there. I am now in DC spending some time with my parents. I will arrange with you all to visit with the family when ever it is appropriate.

14. RobeyRacer

RobeyRacer Well-Known Member

Its good to hear from you Guo. Let Paige or me know if there is anything we can do for you.

15. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Hey Guo,
    Don't worry, everyone understands. If I could take some time, I would as well and go and be with my family. We will have no problem representing you with his family. Take care of yourself and take as long as you need. We are with you.

16. RandyD

RandyD Zoinks!!!

Please extend my condolences to his friend's and family. From the other posts, he sounds like a great guy. Although I didn't know him, any loss in the racing community affects us all.

Godspeed.

17. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Hey Guo, same as the others, if you need anything let me know.

Mark

18. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

John, im truly sorry for the loss of your friend. I didnt get a chance to meet him, but if he was anything like the family of racers that i already have met, of whom you are included, and of those i have yet to meet being so new to the racing scene, then we have definately lost a wonderful person.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you, his friends and his family.

19. RobeyRacer

RobeyRacer Well-Known Member

Actually Todd, he was in our pit that night at Talledega for dinner.

20. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire