1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tractors, mowers , utv’s

Discussion in 'General' started by YZROOSTINYA, May 29, 2021.

1. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

Currently looking into getting a Branson 2205h or 2505h with a loader, bucket and brush hog.

What are your thoughts on this machine? Will be used to maintain the property and occasionally larger jobs that I know will take longer with a smaller machine but easier to store and for general usage.

Spartan rT-pro 61” 27 HP. Zero turn.
    5 acres mostly flat. May do up to 8.

what brand UTV do you suggest. Will have a cab as I will need it to plow in the winter with a heater.

I looked at DEERE and Kubota as well and they are a little more.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Don't forget Mahindra and Kioti.

3. YZROOSTINYA

They sell Mahindra as well. I was told the Branson is a better deal for the size I was looking at.

rd400racer likes this.
  4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

SCUT tractors. You’re kinda limited to a 48” bush hog with that power.

When looking at Yanmar’s in the 20-25hp category. The smaller engine is the better option for long term cost. Most all of the brands use a 3TNV 74 to 80mm bore. The 80mm bore os the largest that block can take. To get to the smaller sizes Yammar dry sleeves and swaps pistons. This makes rebuilds stupid simple and cheap.

Look at LS brand also. My MT1-22 has been the best money I’ve ever spent on a tool. It’s just too versatile around the yard.

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I've been out of the tractor buying world for quite a while...My last was a Ford if that tells you anything. If you plan on doing any real work you must have the power. You just can't plow with a small unit for example. (OK, I know that's gonna get a wise crack response!). Buy your options when you buy the tractor, much cheaper that way. Rear mounted hydraulics, belly PTO?, ....

6. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I'd go Honda for the UTV.

7. Critter

Critter Registered

Yeah what he said the Pioneer.... ALL DAY LONG

8. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Is the UTV going to be a fun and work machine, or just work?

9. zertrider

Not so sure. Hard to beat the Kawasaki models for reliability

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

11. zertrider

And if the ground is even slightly rough, do yourself the favor of going with a Ferris zero turn mower

12. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

What larger jobs are you speaking of? Those 25HP sub compacts, any brand, are very limited. Ive heard Branson is a good brand. Looked at them at the World Ag show. Weight of the tractor should be a main consideration if your going to be doing any dirt engagement or lifting. I have 8 acres and went with a Massey 2705e. They all tried to sell me on the 25HP units saying thats all id need. I knew id beat that thing to death in a minute if i bought it. Im limited on some things with my Massey, had i bought that little 25HP unit id be fucked with most everything i do. The SCUT main selling point is the emissions.

Get a zero turn if mostly all youre doing is mowing.

I went with the Kubota rtv900 workhorse diesel. True workhorse. No play.

13. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

All the smaller/mid sized tractors are pretty much the same...minor ergo differences. IMO, the most important thing is dealer support. I have a JD 3032E with loader, bushhog, box blade, rock rake and scraper. Extremely useful around our 10 acres and could have gone bigger...but it gets the job done. First mod is to get your tires filled...makes a huge difference in performance and ride quality.

14. YZROOSTINYA

Thanks for the input. I think I’m going to do the 2400h

undecided on zero turns yet.

Prob going kubota rtv900
    this will be for hauling stuff, plowing and transportation around the property.

15. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

I have an rtv1100c with a plow and I don’t really care for plowing snow with it. In my case there is a lot of short runs and back and forth. The clunky shifting on the rtv and poor stock layout for the plow controls makes for an inefficient process. It would be fine on longer runs I suspect. The Boss plow is much better from a control layout, others maybe as well vs the stock Curtis plow I have. Out of the 17 ways I have to move snow I prefer my hydro scut with either the plow or blower even though it lacks the cab of the rtv.

Edit to add. In all other respects I like the rtv. I purchased mine used and just happened to get the plow with it. Definitely a workhorse. Every now and then a bit more top speed would be nice for road travel.

16. jdaniel

jdaniel Well-Known Member

Before I bought my tractor everyone I talked to said the same thing about theirs, "I wish I had bought one size bigger." So instead of the 35hp tractor I was looking at I bought the 50hp.

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

So kind of the same as trailers, toyhaulers, and shops then. :D

TurboBlew and Banditracer like this.
  18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

That's what she said..."I wish I married one size bigger".....

Banditracer likes this.
  19. zertrider

I have the 3038e, so same tractor with the engine turned up a bit. The best thing I ever bought for it was forks. They are always on.