1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trackday questions...hows this work?

Discussion in 'General' started by robfromc, Jun 22, 2009.

1. robfromc

robfromc nice member

My first trackday in several years....4?

Im married now, and the wife has a sv650, and she's coming along nicely. Were thinking of doing the next trackday at CMP in kershaw,sc. So Im trying to figure out the logistics on how this would work out, we have 2 small children, 3 and 5.

So... Since we will both be in the same "class", I realize we'd have to alternate sessions and thats cool, but how can we both be at the tech inspection, we just cant leave the kids. :tut: Or does the tech inspection kinda come to you?

You guys are the experts so please chime in... if you take the family with you or how ever you work it out. Thanx :bow:

2. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

tech inspection you just take one bike up at a time. you can take one then come back & get the other & she can watch the kids. all you're doing is rolling the bike through for them to look at

3. robfromc

robfromc nice member

Thanks man... Plastics off? To verify the coolant type. Besides occupying the youngins, any other advice? Im a newb:wow:

4. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

most org's its just remove the lower if you have race glass, bring plenty of water, gas, a canopy & dont forget the bike keys :D (yes it happens)

5. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Naw, they just ask you what you have in it. Just relax and have fun. It'd be nice if you two could get out there at the same time and dice it up. Maybe the next one you do, you could have a baby sitter there with you at the track.

6. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I can't remember ever needing to remove any plastic for a trackday tech. Raceday tech is the only time I pull the lowers.

7. robfromc

robfromc nice member

Babysitter would work awesome! Are ya free?:beer:

8. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Haha, I had to take care of my nephew all day yesteday.

9. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I highly suggest leaving kids with sitter at home or relatives. Taking care of kids would take attention away from bike/rider preparation. And that would also allow you both to enjoy time at the track on a "mini-date". After riding an entire day, you both will be tired and then would have to entertain the kids at night.

Also, bike paddocks aren't the safest environments for young kids who tend to get into everything. :tut:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  10. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

I agree with Fuzzy. I have an 8 yr. old that goes with me and has for years but it is an awful lot let stressful not having to keep up with him and get everything ready between sessions. If you want them there, bring the babysitter and them.

11. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

:stupid: leave the kids at home for your first few events- there's a lot going on in the paddock- lots of bike traffic and lots of opportunities for them to get hurt if your attention should wander. You'll have enough to keep your attention on to watch the kids, too. Get a sitter or leave them with grandma & enjoy the day together.

12. robfromc

robfromc nice member

Leaving them is a option. And I see you guys point. Was just wondering if its feasible.

since Ive got the questions going... How does instructions work on a trackday? I think Elite is hosting the event, my wife would benefit greatly from some "school'n", hell so would I. Do the control riders just watch you and then give you tips? Whats the typical setup? Ive done tons of riding in the mtns, and Im sure that after a few laps I'll be getting it dialed in. Ive always learned from either bailing or watching others, I ve gotten my wife to a certain point :rolleyes: but she do better with a more experienced eye.

13. Phat Chance

Phat Chance Silence, I kill you!

I reccomend Frank Kinsey Racing School. He does track day instruction here at Roebling Road in Savannah. Roebling is a great track for 1st track days. It is a flowing track and it isn't as technicial as CMP.

Personally, I believe that bringing the kids is out of the question. You will be so busy with the bikes that you don't need the distraction.

14. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Or your helmet :D Last trackday I was at over at CMP, a guy had everything but his helmet :wow:

15. Dug2

Dug2 Well-Known Member

i bring my old lady and 8 yr. old girl. if my daughter was
    younger she would'nt go. my gf goes in the event of
    a crash, who gets the bike and gear home?

16. robfromc

robfromc nice member

We settled it, kids arent going. And you guys are right, it will give us more time to concentrate. Plus its going to be crazy hot, dam south carolina.

17. JB6

JB6 www.elitesportbike.com

Kids are no problem we have several there at each event and never had problems. Many of us are parents and grandparents and finding someone to help with the kids is no problem.
    I do the tech for Elite and will be happy to help prep your bike for the trackday. I live in Augusta and meet with you to answer any questions.