1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trackday noob - do I need new tires?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Twatwaffle, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Twatwaffle

Twatwaffle Member

I bought a ZX6R in 2018 so I could get some proper track experience without worrying about chucking my street bike into a crash barrier. Last year, I got a day in at Area 27 (hotlapping beginner/intermediate sessions) and one at Mission here in BC, running Q4's with a 180/60 rear - I'm really happy with the tires. I'm a beginner/intermediate, so I'm not quick enough to take advantage of slicks yet. I've got a track day coming up next week at the new circuit on Vancouver Island - looking at the tires, I'm not sure if I'm at the point where I need a new set; I haven't gone through tires fast enough to gauge when it's time to replace them.

As a sidebar - I've noticed it's really hard to get to the edge of the 180/60's versus the 180/55's - I was scraping the stock rearsets last year but I still have a 1/2 inch left on the tires.

Attached Files:

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

General rule of thumb for me is if I question the tires, I replace them. I don't need that in my head.

nd4spd and sheepofblue like this.
  3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

they look fine to me - plenty of rubber left and still have a rounded profile.

dont worry about getting to the edge of the tire. your goal is to go fast while using as little lean angle as possible.

Ducti89, Murcielago311 and L8RSK8R like this.
  4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Make sure rubber is still soft if garage kept through winter.

Ducti89 likes this.
  5. Atahan Koymen

Atahan Koymen Well-Known Member

They look fine to me. I ran my last set of Q4s almost down to the wear bar (rear) and did my personal best with them. And i am on a 600 as well. Also i used to run 55s before and i found 60s felt the bike tips in lot easier compared to 55s.

6. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Look good to me.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'd be more worried about why you're scraping hard parts on the ground in an intermediate level trackday, you're doing it wrong.

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Go booger em up

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Depending on the bike, bumpiness of the corners and suspension setup, it is not that hard to scrape the stock foot peg feelers at an intermediate track day pace. I did it on my 2003 R1 when I started riding track days. That is one of the reasons the stock pegs fold up.
    On that note: OP, check or have a good suspension guy check to see if your sag / suspension settings are in a reasonable range if you have not done so.

10. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

If the feelers are still on the bottom of the peg remove them.

11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Tires are fine.

Get some Woodcraft rearsets.

Trandyd likes this.