1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track safety(lack) + faster bikes + inexpirence = bad news

Discussion in 'General' started by TBSgraphics, Oct 2, 2006.

1. TBSgraphics

TBSgraphics Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is a normal year but maybe since one was a close friend I took a notice of it, in anycase seems like a dark year for some of our follow racers. If I missd any (hope not) please add them so we can take a moment and give one last thought and memory for them.

God speed to all. :(

Sep 17, 2006 - Jesus Amezcua, 39, of La Puente, California, died from injuries sustained in a crash during Sunday’s WSMC Roadracing World 250/50 at Willow Springs International Raceway, in Rosamond, California.

Aug 14, 2006 - Allen Rice, 63, of San Bruno, California died during a Club Desmo trackday on Friday, August 11, practicing for the sixth round of AFM racing at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, California.

Rider Dies After Crash At Barber Trackday
    Jul 27, 2006
    Shelly Gruber of Lithonia, Georgia

Nov 07, 2005- Cavan Tubbs, 27, a WERA-licensed racer from Jacksonville, Florida, died today as a result of injuries he sustained after riding off track and hitting a tree during a track day November 6 at JenningsGP in Jennings, Florida.

Jul 04, 2006 - Track Day Crash At La Junta Raceway Aaron Aikin, 25, of Thorton, Colorado

Jul 13, 2006 - Gene Bazyl Dies From Injuries After Crash At La Junta Raceway

September 26 - First-year Novice racer Justin Baccino (#469) died Sunday, September 26 from injuries sustained during a WERA Sportsman series race at Summit Point Raceway in Summit Point, West Virginia.

Jul 02, 2006 - The day was marred by the announcement that longtime WERA racer Chris Stevenson, 32, from Atlanta, Georgia, passed away en route to the hospital following a crash in 600cc Superstock.

WERA racer James R. Elias died on Thursday, August 31, 2006

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

:( Godspeed... Friends.

3. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Other than poor Cavan, how many of the racers cited died b/c of tracksafety or inexperience or faster bikes? Do you know or are you just guessing?

PS - I'm not saying that Cavan certainly died from a track safety issue, but there is evidence that points in that direction.

And RIP to all of the riders mentioned.

4. TBSgraphics

TBSgraphics Well-Known Member

considering that today's 600's are turning faster lap times than gp bikes just 10 years or so ago, I would say the bikes are alot faster, I know Gene and Aaron's crash at La junta was a combination of both track and expirence(lack on arron part). I'm not pointing any fingers just I have not seen this many fallen riders in one season since I started racing in 1984....

We had another close call just a few races ago when a bike cleared the pit wall and went through the crowd, meraculiouly(sp) missing everyone.

The tracks for the most part have not been changed for safety in 20-30 years for most of the tracks we ride on, and I've seen many issues in recent news about track safety, Mid-ohio this last weekend, loundon seems to be in the news alot when safety is mentioned, Infinion with Allen Rice and Vincent H, along with Pridmore's close call early this year.

Bike speeds are outgrowing the tracks and new riders are riding bike off the showroom floor that are running speeds that would have put them on pole at AMA races 5-10 years ago.

I know we all know the risks out there, but it sems that the past few years people have kinda put a back burner to safety, when ever a issue comes up most of us, think to ourself it won't happen to me and during rider meeting we vote to ride instead of taking a step back and correrting problem to help prevent these tragic crashes.

sorry for the rant it just been something bothering me for the last few months.
    :(

5. sln

sln Slow LWT newb

Completely understandable. The tracks must keep up with the times, however, w/o action (or voluntary inaction) on the part of the participants, the tracks won't know or feel any inclination to change. Finally, now, this is changing.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The tracks we run at have all been making necessary improvements as the bikes have changed.

7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I think that tracks are making improvements but at a slower rate than the technology of motorcicles.

8. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

Well Jim Elias wrecked on the street, not the track, God Speed Jim!

9. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

One thing to keep in mind is as the popularity of roadracing/trackdays increase, unfortunately so will the # accidents.

10. Beer Slut

Beer Slut Well-Known Member

This one seems weird to me. Wasn't the 26th a Tuesday?

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think this was a couple years ago.

12. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

Racing motorcycles is dangerous, for most this very fact greatly adds to it's appeal. Riding a motorcycle on the street is 10 times as dangerous as riding/racing on the track will ever be. Ride within your limits and comfort zone, especially at tracks where you feel less comfortable.

If you could ride above your limits without any consequence this would be no more exciting than shuffle board.

RIP all fallen riders

13. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I don't remember this one - was that this year? As in, like last week? :(

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:stupid:

+1

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

First and foremonst, my prayers for all of the fallen riders and their families. One death is too many. May they rest in peace.

This may be considered sacriledge here on a racing board and I know track safety is an important component. However, has anyone considered taking steps to slowing the bikes a bit? Chicanes, limited modifications, graduated licenses?

Of the nine riders listed, one was two years ago and one was a street incident. Of the seven remaining, three were at track days. How many of the riders killed in racing accidents were the result of getting hit by or tangled up with another rider?

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And, to continue along that line, as a percentage of participants in racing and track days, how do the number of deaths compare to 10, 15 or 20 years ago?

In the past 30-odd years, I've watched each evolution of engine and chassis engineering overwhelm current tire technology. When Production 600's are making more horsepower now than all out Superbikes were 15 years ago, has traction (tires, suspension, chassis design) kept up with power increases?

More importantly, has rider training kept up with increased capabilities of the machines?

18. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I"m still amazed that the rule got changed to allow novices to race open (liter) bikes rather than restricting them to 600s. It used to be 750s, but as the bikes got better, I would have thought it would have gone down, NOT up.

19. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

All? Like Nelson?

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, like Nelson.

Are they done yet? Nope, but they are and have been working on it.

As for the rest, there is a reason we require the training we do and the technical items we do and why we run things the way we do. You can't legislate out all issues but there are not more people getting seriously hurt or killed at our races in recent years than there used to be. I'd have to double check with the insurance company to be positive but I think as far as our numbers they are down over the 80's, however it's all cyclical it seems. Thing go great for years and then you have a number of issues.