1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track race bike prices tanked?

Discussion in 'General' started by Repeater, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Is it my luck or have track / race bike prices become unusually low? When I was looking a few years ago seemed they were almost equal to street prices with much less in them.

What say the beeb?

2. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Far more competitive alternatives to the usual manufacturers as well as models being extended for several years longer. Manufacturers aren't really updating their product to make the previous model really outdated.

3. ped

ped Banned

have seen 08+ R6's? They're outrageous.

4. Selling a race/track bike is such a pain, mostly because of the huge loss. That is why I didn't even bother selling the RSV4. Ive got like $26k in it and knew I would lose my ass, even though it only has 2000 miles on it and has never been crashed/dropped.

So I just put the OEM plastics back on it and have been riding it on the street.

Even if I get along well with the 1299 and decide to stop racing the R6, I don't know if I will sell it or not. I know I will be lucky to get 25% back of what is in it.

5. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

If you do decide to sell it, please let me know. I would be interested in taking it off your hands. :up:

6. 418

418 Expert #59

Not at all, if anything they're going back up.

5 year old zx-10r's/s1000rr's asking $10G's.
    R6's holding their value real well.
    The '06+ GSX-R's cost as much now as they did few years ago.

7. Will do. :up:

It just had the motor refreshed, new transmission, new water pump, suspension refreshed, braking system completely flushed and new pads, everything lubed, new bearings, etc (all done by Livengood). In other words, it only has 1 weekend on it since I did the whole offseason overhaul thing like I always do.

Being a Superbike, it basically has affamarket errythang :D. Livengood SB motor with ceramic bearings everywhere and Carrillo Rods, Yoyodyne Slipper, Brembo MC and rotors, Map switch with maps for U4.4 and MR12, aftermarket subframe and fairing stay, plus all the normal bolt-ons like full Ti exhaust, PCV, rearsets, full Ohlins suspension, etc.

And of course I have a ton of spares all new in the box (Sharkskinz bodywork painted by Swenson, levers, rearsets, spare Brembo MC, windscreen (painted already), subframe, new gas tank (already painted by Swenson also).

It has Forged Aluminum Marchesini Genesi wheels on it (the new 7-spoke aluminum Genesi wheels are lighter than the older 10-spoke Magnesium ones), and I have a spare Genesi rear also (all with rotors and ceramic bearings) so I can swap rears quickly for back-to-back races. Then I also have 2 sets of OEM wheels.

If/when I decide to get rid of it, I will try to unload everything in one package before parting out anything.

Depending on the delivery time of the 1299 and how long it takes to gather parts/race prep it, the R6 might get one more weekend on it. Two at the most.

8. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Way to take him right up to the edge and then dump cold water on him...ehhh not sure if I am going to sell it but it is a really sweet bike.

9. jeffr1ey

you still haven't taken delivery of the 1299 yet? well be sure to let me know, your stuff is always top notch.

10. :crackup:

I mean, I am 95% sure I am going to sell it. I am only leaving the other 5% just in case for some reason the 1299S is a piece of shit and I don't like it.

I just talked to John at D&D yesterday and he said it should arrive in 2 weeks. But then they will have to install the Akra exhaust, swap rearsets and levers and shit like that. Which is fine because I will be out of the country anyway. So I probably won't actually get it for another month or so.

I will title/register/insure it and ride it on the street for a few weeks to get used to it. Then race prep it. Depending on how long all of that takes, I might not actually race it till the GNF. Nobody makes bodywork for the 1299 yet.

11. jeffr1ey

damn.. well just don't wad up the R6 between now and then :D

i assume your not going to be at Road Atlanta?

12. Nope :(

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

Get a 1199 fairing stay and put 1199 glass on it ;)

14. Yep, could go that route. It seems like there is a little more to it though. I know some guys on the Duc forum have done it, but I thought I read they had to do some machining/cutting of other parts to get everything to line up.

I could be wrong though.

Edit: I just went and found the thread where the guy did it. He had to use an 1199 fairing stay, had to fabricate a bracket to mount the IMU (1199 doesn't have one) and had to do some trimming on the air ducts to make them fit. But he ultimately got the 1199 bodywork to fit on there.

Once I take delivery of the bike I will see how things are looking as far as bodywork and if Sharkskinz is still several months out, I will just go that route. I would rather use 1299 bodywork because I like the looks of the new front end and wider stance, but ill do what I gotta do.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  15. 418

418 Expert #59

Dude. :down:

16. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Sold my 2007 GSX-R 600 And feel lucky to have gotten 3500.00. looking at the prices in the classifieds. Mine had a clean tittle but not as many goodies as allot of the race / track bikes up for sale.

Now how to hide that money and save for the KTM RC 390 The wife wants new floors! Its all over if kid two happens:)

17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

The other option for selling a track bike is to revert it to stock (suspension, exhaust, bodywork) and part out the goodies.

18. No one would buy your stuff anyways. Lack of attention to detail, colors don't match and surely not symmetrical.

19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

And they should really just say 1300. 1299 has got to be frustrating.

20. ton

ton Arf!

your people are to blame, man.