1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Track Days" For Street Legal Automobiles

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Dec 9, 2019.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Do they exist?

I have in the back of my mind to get a late model vehicle that has a bit more snuff than the average cage. However, lack of an opportunity to drive it on a closed course (without the need of a roll cage) would dampen my desire tremendously.

Similar to a guy owning an R1, but only riding track days. Little to no use on the street.

I'm aware of SCCA Solo II stuff (brother is a former 2X champ). I'd start with that, then move on to driving "with enthusiasm" on tracks.

What options are there? Where do I go to learn more.

TIA.

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/
    You can even run scca time trials now without a rollbar.

There are groups that run track days, most allow hard top street cars without a rollbar.
    Look at the track schedules for providers.

YamahaRick and ducnut like this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Of course....maybe I just took for granted it was a normal thing but for a decent while there when I was riding with TPM they would sometimes have days that partnered with a car trackday org and would run 3 motorcycle groups and 1 car group each hour.

[​IMG]

YamahaRick likes this.
  4. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Find your local Porsche, BMW and Corvette clubs. If there is something, they will be there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

YamahaRick likes this.
  5. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

When I had my bmw I did something called PDX, at the local track. it was a trackday w/ a guy sitting next to you telling you how to drive. I dont know if it was a local or national organization.

6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Nelson’s Ledges does them all the time, as do most tracks. That’s where they make the majority of their money. There’s way more car days at tracks than motorcycle days. Check your local track.

YamahaRick likes this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

And car guys usually have a bunch more money!

OldGuyOnBlu and pscook like this.
  8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Lots of car groups.
    Some are expensive for stupid reasons some are cheap.
    Check local mustang club, Miata clubs and Corvette clubs. Most do trackdays. Most tracks run their own groups too.

Look into insurance for your vehicle, normal insurance won't cover it but haggerty will for like $100 a weekend.
    Pick your vehicle and go to forums for it to find the best info as far as tires that work for both track and street.

My 1le Camaro for instance comes with ultra high-performance summer tires, which are great for track but are terrible under 40 degrees...
    I'll I have two sets of wheels before doing trackday.

yes it's more expensive.

And also don't expect the freedom you get with motorcycle trackdays, you have to point to pass and other stupid shit in beginner groups.

You'll also need a car specific helmet because none helmets are fire rated.

Brian_J and YamahaRick like this.
  9. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

nasaproracing.com

NASA has trackday/timetrials/wheel to wheel racing all over the country.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah, four wide into T1 doesn’t work in cars!

Senna likes this.
  11. noles19

It does if you're not a pussy.

But really I'm fine with other orgs having their own rules of course, my only issue is when I've had car guys come to my supermoto days and even though Ive told them to hold their line and don't worry about moving to let someone pass.

They still move to the right and point to the left:mad::confused:

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

Platinum membership at Atlanta Motorsports Park

YamahaRick likes this.
  13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Hmm; maybe I should look at securing a nice go kart first.

Will my cart having a nicely tuned TZ250 motor be an issue? :--)

Phl218 likes this.
  14. noles19

Fairly sure you could race a kart like that on the full size road course with certain karting orgs like wka

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

I have ridden an Italian pasta kart (1199 cc) there once for a full day. It was beyond amazing, especially having the track to myself.

they don’t discriminate karts there, even if they lack 2 wheels

YamahaRick likes this.
  16. Brian_J

Brian_J Active Member

if you're in the eastern half of the country, check out www.autointerests.com. they're running car trackdays at several different tracks. they also offer track day insurance for your car through haggerty.

YamahaRick likes this.
  17. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I did a SCCA Track Night earlier this year because I was looking to get 3 or 4 sessions out on track in my GT3, but didn't necessarily want to be out there all day. I thought it was well-run, and had a cool mix of cars. Would definitely do it again.

YamahaRick likes this.
  18. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Little tally does them alot

YamahaRick likes this.
  19. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

My buddy and shopmate is an instructor with SCCA and Summit Point track days. He finally convinced me to get out and try it last year. I had an absolute blast!

Went down to Enterprise and rented a Ford Fiesta sedan. FWD, auto trans. $100 for the weekend. Proceeded to thrash that little car, haha. It actually did very well and I learned tons. It being slow and underpowered, I was able to drive it to the limit without getting in over my head.

In the off season I bought a 2000 BMW 323i, sedan, 5sp, for $1000. After a couple thou of brake and suspension repairs it’s a great track car. Again it’s not very powerful at 170hp, but I’m not afraid of approaching the limit. Just like motorcycles, it’s beneficial to learn on something slow and underpowered, and with no nannys.

20. Br1anbuck

Br1anbuck Well-Known Member

I've been running with Trackdaze now for 5 years. Instructor is included when you are a beginner / nonsolo driver. The instructor sits next to you and uses an intercom system that you slip into your helmet.

Trackdaze runs VIR Full and Grand course, and a few of Summit Points courses.

I've been using my Shoei helmet, as it is fire rated.

noles19, Phl218 and YamahaRick like this.