1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Day time on the track

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by chopt, Dec 2, 2010.

1. chopt

chopt Well-Known Member

How long and how many sessions are usually in a Track Day? I'm currently trying to operate track days in my state and need some non-biased / non-agenda help. To help improve my schedule.

2. ton

ton Arf!

depends on what org, what track, time of year, special days, etc...

it's somewhat standard to run three groups, 20min each per hour, 7 sessions per day.

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

:stupid:

I've seen as little as two groups and up to four, but three seems to be a good medium. 9a - 5p with an hour break for lunch in the middle is pretty common.

4. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Go to several track day company sites and hit the FAQ and Policies and Proceedures and "Typical Track Day" sections.

I'd check

Sportbike Track Time
    NESBA
    Team Promotion
    Absolute
    Jennngs GP
    Roger Lyles

After you do some research you'll get the info you seek.

Good luck with your events.

5. TheUncannyJ

TheUncannyJ Well-Known Member

Id go with this....

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

What State do you reside in out of curiosity?

7. chopt

chopt Well-Known Member

I've run 3 groups, 6 sessions at 20 min's a piece(incident free). The track's hot from 9 - 4 with a 1 hour lunch break. I'm looking for suggestions on splitting a large group and still give 6 - 20 min sessions. The kicker is, I don't know how many riders per group I have until the morning of the event, this leaves me shootin'from the hip with my schedule. The only way I can do this is to start an hour early, which is near impossible, cut my lunch to half an hour and buy an extra .5 hour, which may be another impossibility.
    Are my options hopeless for 6 sessions with 4 groups in this time period. OR, would 5 - 20 minute sessions be suffice for 125bux?

8. chopt

chopt Well-Known Member

Louisiana

9. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

SOP is for a track to be hot from 9-5 with an hour for lunch. Why can't you run 9-5???

10. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

+1

11. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

I think he is getting a lower rental for only running until 4 if I am reading correctly. My suggestion is to run until five and raise the cost to cover. Are you setting a limit on the amount of attendees you will take per event or is that not a consideration yet given the turnout? How many riders will the track hold at one time safely? What kind of a mix of skill set do you typically see in the riders who attend your events? Is it a broad range or fairly narrow (ie all street guys who have track experience or a mix of newbies, track day veterans and racers or some other combination?) Depending on the variance in skill level you are seeing will also help dictate how many groups you can safely run. I used to run events for NESBA and we would see a large variance in skill sets meaning the mimimum amount of groups we could safely run is three. Alot of factors go into deciding how to proceed in your situation. The more information you can give us the better we can advise on what is best for your situation.

12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Agree with all the inputs....Maybe also attend some events run by the existing organizations as a rider yourself, if you can. Observe and take notes..talk to the event directors and riders in attendance.

Then go home and list what you liked and didn't like about how each conducts a day.

Take that and evolve it into your Track Day organizational charter.

Just a thought.

13. fishguts

fishguts Well-Known Member

How bout not breaking for lunch?

14. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

gotta respect your corner workers and give them a break sometime in the day!!!

15. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Only thing I can add that hasn't been stated, in the heat of the summer most get worn out with 20min sessions, I tend to drop them to 15min. Doing this you will get at least one more session per group and if you can manage it with the track you can get 2 more for a total of 9 running 9-5, or 8 in your case of only running 9-4.

16. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

There were days I considered adding a 4th group at my events and labeling it the "Dumbass" group. There were specific qualifications you would have to meet to gain entrance. This group would be run with no control riders and crash trucks at every turn. By lunch we would be back to running the three group format again if all worked as planned :D

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

After talking with several riders over the course of the year, most did not care for the 15 min. format, especially on extremely hot days. They would say they are actually on track more in a given hour with less time to recoup between sessions. They said they would prefer the 20 minute sessions and it be left up to the individual to come in early as needed. Just relaying gathered comments. Tdub

18. slow honda

slow honda Well-Known Member

I miss you Dutch :beer:

19. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

20. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

I'm safety wiring the Harley as we speak ;)