1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toxic workplaces?

Discussion in 'General' started by britx303, Apr 16, 2018.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Not the Hazmat kind.....but toxic with coworkers. Anybody have a job like that? In my profession its hard to find another company around here that will equal to what I make for wages and benefits,so im really gun-shy about quitting after 20 years there, for the sake of my wife and daughters. I certainly dont want to go "postal", but im thinking I need to leave before something bad happens, one way or the other. For the first time,I feel i'm at a loss for a solution as far as work goes,and its beginning to show at home,which is never a good thing......:( Basically,if the main bosses no longer strictly enforce curbing the negative behaviour, whats the next step?

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

AR15, and a CNN news crew.

SUPER K, 418, K51000 and 2 others like this.
  3. britx303

I dont need a gun for any of those pussies at work.:crackup:

BigBird and VFR#52 like this.
  4. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Leave. Get your resume updated and use head hunters. Linked in brings them all to the yard.

I am in the same situation and knocking out my personal professional goals up while I remain here. They won't pay for any development and don't want my assistance with culture change, so I need to keep my job while I get more training under my belt. I am a box they check and they have made that ultimately clear.

5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Buy them all Metallica tickets?

britx303 likes this.
  6. britx303

Yeah,I think im going to go in and put in my 2 weeks in a an hour or so. Its gotten so bad at 4:30 this morning headed in to work, I just turned around in the middle of the highway and came home with another migraine from thinking about the place. Im sorry for your strife too.

ToofPic likes this.
  7. britx303

Getting them asshats in a pit with me would be a dream-come-true!

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I work for 2 brothers (who inherited the business) that hate each other and scream constantly. And I'm in the middle as the confident of them both. No matter how I try to bring common sense solutions to their problems, it doesn't matter because they hate each other so much. And the reason for their hate...money! Basically two millionaires that bitch over a penny. None of their anger is directed at me whatsoever, it just gets old hearing the whining and having to play referee almost daily.

But, they pay me well and the job isn't hard. And I'm too old to start somewhere else.

crashman and Boman Forklift like this.
  9. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I thought you were a fire fighter.

10. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I worked in a shop like that. The toxicity was an ownership down thing, everyone took their cues from "the top". If you can't rely on "main bosses", the ill in the place is never going to change. I second the advice of CY, get your "exit plan" together and leave that place as fast as you can.

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Threads like this remind me that being self employed isn't all bad. I don't make shit for money and there's no such thing as a vacation but I don't have to deal with asshole coworkers and bosses, just asshole customers. My commute is a walk across the road and I can take 5 minutes whenever I want to go out and throw the ball for the dog. Everything has it's good and bad I guess.

ToofPic, auminer, BigBird and 2 others like this.
  12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

As someone told me once, "Be a duck. Let it all roll off your back"

Sounds like a good situation.

Except for the money thing. :D

13. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Some of you know that I was laid off in December. Took a job with a new company and thought all was well... Well, turns out its toxic under the surface. Integrity issues and coverups on some stuff. I'm basically biding my time, recovering from the layoff, working on my professional credentials to make a jump, then I'll move. It feels like you're slowly getting your soul drained having to do it, but can't be reactionary... And, I'm really bad about this, but I'm working on it - can't let them see or hear how you "feel" about it.

spode likes this.
  14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I was basically in your position over a year ago. I realized the company was A) never going to change unless the family sold it (not gonna happen while the "old man" was alive) and B) never going to value my worth any where near the market rate. So after 10 years, and helping bring in millions in sales and the best couple years the company ever had, I left. New gig is 600mi away and i like it. No one to manage but myself, which is hard enough some times, and the pay is much more excellent.

I found this job by asking one of my customers if they new anyone looking for technical/sales help. He actually was going to need someone, so it worked out.

Get a resume together, get in the job sites, linkd in, etc.

If you think finding a new job at the same level, or higher, is going to be hard, you gotta suck it up and find something first before quitting. Ill say i was in such a better mood even before i found a job, just finally telling myself, yep its done I am leaving. I had flirted with leaving for years, but kept hoping against the odds it would be better.

Good Luck.

BigBird likes this.
  15. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

And yet you posted about it on the beeb. :Poke: :p

16. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'm certain no one knows of, or cares about this place.

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I don't know your situation, but encourage you to look for a new job while still working.

If nothing else, employers like hiring people already employed. With basically no unemployment in the workforce, if you don't have a job, it makes employers wonder?

Plus why take the financial risk of 6 months without pay?

ToofPic, gixxercurt and BigBird like this.
  18. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

haha my previous job was sorta like that. owned by two brothers, and it'd be to the point where we'd have two versions of some of our forecasts/budgets... one for brother A, one for brother B, because they both wanted to assume different things that they could never agree on that would change the bottom lines in the projections. so much time and money wasted on that dysfunctional kinda shit. i guess they'd be more concerned if they weren't raking in millions anyways, but it would always make me headshake-laugh to myself.

19. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

What Rob said.
    If you are unemployed, depending on your financial situation, you might loose the upper hand on the job search.

20. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Details about the job and whats going on. Is there someone above your boss you can expose this to? HR? Can you step up and manage up? Whats your worth, can you essentially let them know fix this or Im gone? Ive been through a rotating door of new bosses, some unfamiliar with leading a team and some new to the whole concept of a job, and Im getting shit for things they should be doing and not managing up, I finally got sick of it and act now like Im the boss and he is my employee and I have to take care of his shit, its more work, but shit is now getting done, on time, and my client is happy again and he is burning bridges with other team members so when he crashes and burns, as I know he will, and other project and co workers projects burn with it, mine will stand resolute, and I will come out Shawshank smelling like roses. If I can manage around him. 1 more year and Im switching clients/programs, as Ive been tasked with awarding a follow on contract, when thats awarded, Im switching, hopefully back to a DOD client, they make decisions, and debate a lot less about the path forward.