1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torsion Axles.......wear question?

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Apr 20, 2022.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'm looking at purchasing a 6x12 trailer that has torsion axles and looks to have almost never been used. If so very rarely.

Issue I have it was manufactured in 2008 and has sat in storage (covered) most of it's life, so beyond the tires needing replaced I'm wondering if the axles will still be OK.

Do the rubber cords/cartridges in torsion axles degrade over time even it the trailer is not being used? From my understanding these are not "serviceable" and if they are bad would need to be completely replaced.

Any guidance is appreciated.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I've had two torsion axle trailers since 2000. Replaced the 2000 single with a tandem in 2005. Neither were ever covered, ever stored inside, yet to have an issue.
    I'd think if the trailer was parked in the desert southwest for a decade or more there could be degradation of the rubber.

3. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a 7'x12', tandem torsion axle, ~15 years old and never had a problems with either axle if that helps.

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

They'll be OK. In addition to the tires you might want to replace the bearings and check the brakes.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've never heard of one going bad. Been in /around the trailer business for 20 plus years.

6. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

I’ve had zero problems with the torsion axles on my 2004 Haulmark. I bought it in 2009, and it had sat since new.

+1 one on the tires - they won’t go 100 miles….. and…. the valve stems. They will go once they start rotating (assuming they’re rubber).

I’d squirt some fresh grease into those bearings.

t

cav115 likes this.
  7. NemesisR6

Thanks for the info. Yea, I'm probably going to have to have the tires/stems replaced on the spot.

Unfortunately it's 3+ hours away so I can't exactly pore over it before purchasing.........

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The only time I see bad torsion axles is if they are rusted to shit (boat trailer) or they got curbed and bent, or the bearings went bad and trashed the spindle.

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I'd also be concerned if the axle bracket is welded directly to the frame. Most older torsion axles are done that way. It's a nightmare if you have to replace the axle.

Newer trailers will have a separate bracket welded to the frame and the axle bolted to it.

Most newer trailers that have torsion axles also have removable/ replaceable spindles should you have a bearing failure and wreck the spindle.

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Not really, with a set of torches and a gouging tip. :D

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Have at it

12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

New tires amd valve stems, and inspect/repack the bearings of they need it. Don't overthink it.

Edit: If its 13 hours to get it home, definitely inspect the bearings before hand, it's a quick easy service that can save you a HUUUUGE headache.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  13. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

I'd take a new pair of wheels/tires and swap them out before I pulled it 3hrs home.

14. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

NemisisR6,

I see you are here in the great state of Florida. My suggestion is to go to the Discount tire website and find the closest one to where the trailer is and call them and have them get you a set of Good Year Endurance (made in the USA) tires so they have them setting there, get the current trailer owner to send you a pic of the size so there are no errors, and pick up the trailer, straight to Discount and they do free valve stems and balancing with the purchase!!

If they are like my local one they will even sell you the road hazard package so you are covered for issues, free balance and rotations, flat repirs, blow-out replacements stc. No I do not work for them but it did save me on the road headed to the track once when I picked up a screw and had a flat.

NemesisR6 and Red Fox Racing like this.
  15. NemesisR6

That would be my plan if I go that route. They did a great job when I had to do an emergency install on all four tires for my old toy hauler right before I was supposed to leave town for a track weekend. Pulled the wheels off and brought them up to Discount, they had them done in an hour and I had them back on the trailer the same afternoon. They've always done good work for me and my vehicles.