1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torque 25 Foot Pounds on Caliper Banjo Bolts?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by boingmotorsport, May 16, 2006.

1. boingmotorsport

boingmotorsport Well-Known Member

Application - 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i
    I just broke both front brake caliper banjo bolts, because I was torqing them to 25 foot pounds like the service manual said to. I thought it was a misprint, but I looked in my F3 and RC51 manuals and they all said the same. Well I ordered two more. What should I torque those to? I don't want any oil leaking. New crush washers and everything...

2. nig

nig Well-Known Member

Just get them snug.

3. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Are you using aluminum bolts or steel? Could be your torque wrench is off too. I once had a clicker type that went haywire and almost doubled the torque indicated. Steel bolts should easily handle 25ft/lbs.

4. davetx

davetx Member

Are these stock or aftermarket bolts. I know that Galfer banjo bolts are only supposed to be torqued to 12-15 ft/lbs max.

5. boingmotorsport

They are steel, Honda OEM bolts. The torque wrench is new and it the manual needle type. They both snapped at about 20 lbs.

I'm gonna snug the new ones, then use the torque wrench to see what the torque is.

You have to remember, these bolts are hollow to allow the brake fluid to run through them to get to the calipers. I can't believe the manual would say 25 foot pounds. That's why we all buy those things - to abide by them. I guess they're wrong on that one.

I hope to get the new ones tomorrow in the mail so I can try it Saturday. I'll let you guys know...

6. gregcbr

gregcbr Well-Known Member

my f3 manual's got 20 ft.-lb. or 27 N.m

7. boingmotorsport

I snugged them and then read the torque. It was 15 lbs. When I picked up the new bolts, I asked the service manager what he thought. He said to torque the, between 12-15 lbs.

For the rest of the story, (if your interested), I bled the system and went for a test ride and I still didn't have good braking. Not good enough for the street, let alone the track. After some more tinkering, I thought it might be scorched pads, so I took the ones of the street RC51, and bingo! The grabbed. Soooooooo, I ordered a new set of pads. Another $80 into the bike. Oh well, I need the track so bad right now!

8. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

Keep cranking them tighter until you feel it get really easy all of a sudden, then go back a 1/4 turn...

:Poke: