1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top WERA riders profit

Discussion in 'General' started by redciv1, Jan 6, 2009.

1. redciv1

redciv1 Well-Known Member

Hello. I wasn't quite sure how to search for this answer, but do the top WERA riders make a living within WERA or do they have to move on, notice I didn't say move up:), to AMA?

2. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Go look at the contingency page, then look at results and look at listed sponsors for riders like Rob Jensen, Chad Lewin, Tray Batey, Jeff Wood. It is not uncommon for any of them to have a $10,000 weekend, and they might do 18 weekends a year. Then remember that is only the listed contingency and doesn't take into account any other deals or sponsorship they might have.

3. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

lets just say that they can pay to race (from what I know) but they're not becoming rich or making a ton of money racing that isnt going right back into the bikes or entry fees.

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

It also doesn't take into account thier overhead. Fuel was killing last summer.

I made a dollar two ninety eight last year.

5. Six3SixGal

u have any pics of those sweet shoes? With the sock tan showing preferably? ;)

6. stickboy274

Noobody got them for me. I was hoping I could steal you from your man if I showed up wearing them, but my plan hasn't worked out just yet.

I'll keep trying

7. Six3SixGal

Well, I guess Daddy DOES need a new pair of shoes...

8. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

there are only a HANDful of riders in the country that make a living club racing........those that do make a living doing it are very good, many that race use it as a supplement to their income from a "regular" day job

most that are winning WERA or ASRA Nationals are not losing any money when they race............see RRW's article on Jeff Wood for an example of this

9. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I am friends with a professional contingency hunter. It is a tough, tough life. You drive constantly, always gone, eating road food. If you are really good you may make $200K a year which sounds great, until you realize that you spend $130K to do it.

10. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Not to mention, for most it wont last long either..no career there

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The other side is f=taxes at years end and hoping the contingency checks come in when they are supposed to.

12. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

You can do it and it is being done, if you're fast enough.

13. ScottG

ScottG Well-Known Member

Sounds about right... factor in a broken arm mid year and your up ***** creek without a paddle. Only a handful of guys can make this work.

And as previously pointed out... good luck beating them. IMO, if your asking about it... you aint fast enough to make it happen.

14. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I love it when the two or three guys who can do it all show up at the same place at the same time. Makes for good watching between getting my ass handed to me by children.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yes.

And, yes.

Butt those are some GREAT weekends!

16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Barber National- Knapp, Jensen, Wood, Batey, Westby, Benny T, Barnes, Caylor......

It was stacked! :clap:

17. stickboy274

So your saying theres a chance?:up:

18. crossroader

crossroader road racing junkie

Expert CCS races in October were some of the most incredible racing I've ever (in 33 years) seen. The new AMA can only hope to get the kind of close racing we saw.

19. skeesm

skeesm Well-Known Member

That's funny right there...but so true. I can relate perfectly. There's just no other @ss-handing in existence like the one you'll experience when, swelling with pride from the perfectly executed T7 at Road Atlanta, you're just ripping through the gears on your SV650, and one of those fearless little peckerwoods that you've been holding up for the last three turns comes around you on his 125 never to be seen again... :D

20. redciv1

redciv1 Well-Known Member

So are you all saying it's youth and fearlessness that makes the difference?