1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tool question - 6pt or 12 pt

Discussion in 'Tech' started by yongrim, Apr 23, 2003.

1. yongrim

yongrim Active Member

Hi,
    I am about to buy a bunch of metric socket set,
    and they come in 2 flavor - 6 point and 12 point.
    Can someone tell me what the difference is?

Also, why are Snap-on/Mac tools so much more expensive
    over Craftsman?

Thanks!

2. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

12 point sockets will grip a nut or bolt in twice as many positions than 6 point sockets, i.e., when working in a tight area you will be able to slip the socket over the head of the bolt or nut from more positions from a 360 degree perspective. The downside is that they are more prone to rounding the head of the bolt or nut. 6 points are probably better for working on your bike.

Snap-on and Mac are professional grade tools, Craftsman are consumer oriented.

3. Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle Well-Known Member

I prefer 6 point.

4. limy_1

limy_1 Crash Starter

I don't know if this is still true but as of a couple of years ago
    Stanley, Craftsman, Proto & Snap-on were all made by the same factory and all hold the same guaruntee. Why pay more?

5. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

6 points all the way small bolts round easy...

6. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

automotive and motorcycle- 6 pt.
    aviation- 12 pt.

7. V7 Jerry

V7 Jerry Well-Known Member

Cause they are better made tools. Snap-on/MAC are made so that they won't break for the mechanic who works day in and day out. If you tried to do that with Craftsman you'd be replacing your hand tools quite often.

On the other hand Craftsman tools are perfect for the weekend warrior type. That is unless your dad sells MAC Tools and you get them at cost like I do :D :cool:

8. V7 Jerry

V7 Jerry Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that Stanley and Snap-on aren't made by the same people. Stanely does own MAC Tools but Snap-on is a completely seperate company.

As for who makes Craftsman and Proto I have no idea.

9. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

6 point but it won't fit on the bolt(square) that holds your kids swing set together. Your ratchet gives you the ability to fit the six point where the twelve point goes easily.

Stanley makes Proto. They have the Kmart grade and the industrial(no chrome) grade.

You can use Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt day in and day out but be prepared to spend alot of time reutrning for warranty replacement. Compare a Snap-On to a Craftsman(even the "Pro"grade) and difference is noticeable.

10. atl_hooligan

atl_hooligan Well-Known Member

Who doesn't live close to Sears? :D

My Grandfather used Craftsmen.
    My Dad used uses Craftsmen.
    I'll use Craftsmen.

I've never been hassled when returning a broken item, and have rarely broken a tool! This is over 20 years of experience with Craftsmen tools.

Whatever brand you get, make sure you have a lifetime warranty, and a convienent location to exchange items at.