1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too much brake lever travel

Discussion in 'Tech' started by HoyaXC07, Aug 28, 2016.

1. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

I have an 05 GSXR 600 and I have to pull the brake lever about halfway before I get any braking. At the track im almost smashing my fingers between the lever and throttle. The brakes stop fine but the lever doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I put on a new master, bled the brakes, and the pads have plenty of life but nothing made a difference. Any ideas?

2. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

I'm thinking maybe it's the actual lever, did you use the old lever with a new master or is the whole assembly new?

3. HoyaXC07

Yes, whatever ebay levers that were on it when I bought the thing. The brake lever pushes down the little plunger on the master though like it should. I wouldnt rule the lever out though.

4. 418

418 Expert #59

Does the travel reduce if you pump it up?

If so it might be warped rotors.

5. HoyaXC07

Nope. Pumping the brakes makes no difference.

6. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I think you found your problem

7. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

What master cylinder did you put on? '05 was included in the massive gsxr brake recall. Putting on another used master cylinder from the same year probably wouldn't make any difference. In my experience even the post recall master cylinder wasn't great. I had similar symptoms on my '07, all solved by a Brembo master cylinder.

8. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

I think you should borrow a proper master and try it since that seems to be the root of the problem.

9. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I fought a similar problem on my SV last season. Tried swapping everything (calipers, master, levers, lines...etc).

What ended up fixing it was new pads. My pads seemed to perform well, had 90% thickness left. However, changing them resolved the travel problem, and it's been good this whole season.

I wish I could explain why, but I can't.

10. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

The 04-05 was not known for good brakes. Like stated, an aftermarket master will more than likely fix your problem.

11. HoyaXC07

I ordered some levers, the cheapos on it need to go regardless. More than one person at the track recommend a brembo master to solve the problem, ill probably just buy one.