1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TL1000R vs. RC51

Discussion in 'General' started by J. Blankenship, Jan 10, 2004.

1. J. Blankenship

J. Blankenship Well-Known Member

I used to race in the B and C production classes on a GSXR600. I've been out now for over two years. A low-paying, long hour job was my main reason. Also, in those classes it was very crowded and I had several close calls with new guys. I even had a few in practice. I decided to give it up. I've recently been thinking of getting back into it and doing some track days, maybe eventually racing. I'm thinking of trying one of the twins. It seemed to me that the twin class had a higher percentage of experienced, more mature racers. I've owned some TLR's and rode them on the street, but have never ridden and RC51 enough to know anything about them. I'd like to know if one is "easier" to ride and go faster on than the other. Does one require more work and/or parts to be competitive that the other. I know that it's mostly up to the rider to get the bike around the track. But I need all the advantages I can get. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

2. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Do a BBS search on RC51 and you will find a bunch of threads talking about this very topic. From everyone that I've read most people have said the TL makes a much better racebike than the 51.

3. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

Forget those twins. I've logged MANY hours on TLs and RC's, (crashed 'em both too) and if your interested in racing a twin, get an SV 650. You can race in more classes on an SV, classes not crowded with psychos like me, and they handle well, brake well, and if you want it to go real fast-like, get Huey to 'build' it for you.

4. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

i was researching the rc not long ago for a potential new race bike. but there arent many privateers running them so parts are hard to come by. as far as the tl goes many gsxr parts will fit on there so parts are more readily available.. and that should be a huge part of your decision..

5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

There's a reason why Suzuki quit racing the TL and that's all I'm gonna say:)

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No HW Twins class in the AMA?

GSXR750?

Cost of running two superbike programs?

Having raced a supersport RC51, I can say that if Honda can make a winning superbike, basic design is irrelevant so long as you start with something better than a Katana.:)

7. bmfgsxr

exactly.

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I made the move from C/B classed to HWT and honestly is was the best decision I could have made. I won't say the class is for everyone, but there is alot less to contend with than any of the meat grinder classes. If you feel the need, you can still fun 750 and F1 for fun, but if you are looking to move up within 2 years, it could really be a good spot for you. As far as the bike goes, RC51's are expensive, and they are hard to get parts for at the track, and aftermarket stuff isn't as readily available. However, they weigh less and are faster out of the box. The TLR's are very crash resistant, parts interchange, and they make a good racebike for alot less than an RC51. I say have a go regardless and don't look back.

9. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

Ping Salex, he has ridden both. HWT IS a smaller class than the SV class. Everyone has taken the "Get an SV to start on" advice, and the classes are getting bigger.

10. Resident Plarp

Indeed you're correct. My point is that they had to chose from a competitive standpoint and went with the 750 for a reason, it was easier to win with.:)

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Only if no one protests your GSXR at the end of the HWT race...:D

12. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

Try an Aprilia Mille

These are incredible bikes, and are very reliable. They weight less than either of the two Jap bikes, and if you shop around, you'll find they are not as expensive as many believe.
    There are a lot of go fast parts available now too.

13. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I have had both. 02 RC51 and 02 TLR both are pigs, the RC51 was easier to ride fast and handled better but the TLR feels like it makes more power. The RC51 had more on/off throttle problems, if you chopped the throttle mid turn it would try and put you on your head. Stock mapping sucked. If your on a tight budget get the TLR. If you want to be different get the RC51, but be sure its 02 or newer. That's the year they changed the swingarm and it also had some of the kit parts from the year before come stock on it.

14. Resident Plarp

Re: Try an Aprilia Mille

The 'prila is a nice bike the problem is all the parts for the thing are so expensive. Not to mention there's no contingiency for the things since, according to Robert Pandiya, they're more interested in advertising than running a race time in the US. You figure out that logic.....

Not to mention, being that it's an Italian company, and you're dealing with Italian logistics (it took one Mussolini to get the trains running on time a little over a half-century ago) that means you're shafted if you need something bad.

Having worked at an Aprilia dealer for some years the phrase "eh, your parts izza on'a container'a sumver between'a Noale'a and a' Atlanta, how about a' nice a' glass a' Chiente...." become all too common when on the phone with "shipping."

They are neat bikes so long as ya don't have a 2000.5 or earlier (tucky front end) and if you're REALLY patient. I did like the fact that my dealer rep always called me back promptly AND that if I was feeling chummy, I could phone up Tom McDonald and have a chat with him.

15. That's it in a nutshell.

I was three seconds a lap faster at Road Atlanta on a Hawk than I was on a TLR.

Hawk 1:35

TLR 1:38

Circa 1997, of course....

:D

16. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

They had the TLR in '97? I thought the TLS came out that year and the TLR followed a year or two later

17. bmfgsxr

tlr first year was 98
    tls was 97

18. J. Blankenship

J. Blankenship Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the help. I thought about getting a 650 but I may be trading one of my streetbikes for a TLR. I'm also 6'3" and 220 lbs. For some reason, I've always been more comfortable and a little faster on heavier bikes. I started out racing a production 97 GSXR600, then an 01 GSXR600. I never went as fast on the 01 as I did the old 97. How quickly do you think the aftermarket companies will start cutting TL parts?

19. Chip

Chip Registered

My Katana will kick your Works RC51's A$$!!!!!!!:D

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I would think that everything that ever going to be made for it is already out there. It's been around since 1998.