1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires for street bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Jon Wilkens, May 18, 2020.

1. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

It's been a few years since buying tires for my street bike (120 F / 180 R). Who's the go-to place these days for tires? I've checked out STG and Cycle Gear and not real impressed with selection. I typically run a sport tire up front and a sport touring tire out back on my Street Triple...still end up doing 2 rears to a front usually and won't even bother with a sport rear tire. I won't run dunlops either...absolutely hate the way they feel. I've run pretty much all brands at some point and not too picky other than dunlops.

2. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

How can you not be satisfied with STG's selection, they have every major brand's best tires?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I'm confused, you're asking what to run but you already know for sure what you don't want? And they're the most popular brands/models since that's what those two retailers carry?

4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I liked the Road5’s I had

stk0308 and Jon Wilkens like this.
  5. Jon Wilkens

Not what I asked for...but thanks. If they had what I would buy...I would not have asked the question for other good places to purchase from.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I love whatever came stock on the Hyper and Multi, replaced the Hypers with the same again because they work so well even in cold/wet

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  7. Jon Wilkens

Not asking what to run...just for other options of where to buy from.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

See, this is why I'm lost - if you know what you would buy, why are you asking what to buy?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well then if you know what brand/model you want, say so and then you might get answers. Your post with the Dunlop comment looks like you want input on the tire brand, the model, and the vendor.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. Jon Wilkens

Sometimes someone will have a local place or whatever that is a great place to buy from...one that I would not be privy too...

11. Jon Wilkens

Was not asking what....its the where....

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed - but what tires you're looking for matters even in that scenario. Especially when you're saying two huge vendors don't have whatever it is you want.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I get that now - so what specifically is the what?

14. Jon Wilkens

Not hard to understand...WHO are the go-to places these days for good deals on tires? Some places run deals...others do not...deals are not consistent and change all the time. Right now...I am not seeing anything at STG or Cycle gear that appeal to me....HENCE the original question....

Someone may see a closeout deal somewhere that might be the ticket...dunno. Just like to do my due diligence in searching around.

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Rocky Mountain ATV
    American Moto tire
    Check Amazon too

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh good lord - all the closeouts and such in the world won't do a damn bit of good if you've already determined what tires you want and those two don't have them. If you actually post what you want then people might be able to help.

Or is this a case of they have tires I would ride but they cost too much so send me ideas of cheaper stuff I can get as long as it isn't dunlop?

17. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

STG or Rocky Mountain ATV/MC are my "go-to" for tires for last few years.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hell, there's a place in Woodstock that I think sells used tires. Or there are takeoffs from racers that could fit what you want.

19. Jon Wilkens

I have not determined WHICH tires yet (other than no dunlops)...lots to choose from and the right deal will sway me depending on the tire....HENCE...the original question. Just allows me to search other places I may not be privy too...not sure why you are having so much grief here...you've misunderstood from the get go.

20. Jon Wilkens

yeah...those options will work awesome for doing a 6 week motorcycle trip out west...but thanks for playing.