1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire warmers in car racing

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Pirelli pays a big number to get brand recognition from F1 because it is number 2 behind football worldwide on TV

noles19 likes this.
  2. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Fixed for us Americans ;)

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

A P Zero slick 235/645R19 used in the Pirelli World Challenge are 590 each, so around 2500 a set

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Do f1 teams even pay for tires?

5. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

In pro racing it depends. Usually it's partly subsidized. So teams may pay some costs but the manufacturer (Pirelli) is eating some costs too to be sole supplier / exposure.

In amateur racing it depends. A buddy of mine who raced SCCA Club Racing was fast and didn't pay for tires almost his entire time due to Hoosier and Goodyear's contingencies.

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

For sure I was asking about f1 specifically because I thought I remembered reading that they do not pay for them, but maybe mistaking.

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Really. I guess this is another area where marketing is lost on me. I've never bought a tire with the thought that they are on a race car somewhere. Who actively makes a purchasing decision that way?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

It's lost on me as well, but you're underestimating the susceptibility of the general public.

That's part of the reason F1 is going to 18 inch wheels/tires in 2021..........a more direct link to development technologies that can be passed down to marketing departments who like to push rubber out of Walmart tire shops.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They're out there. You ever see Dave K in a racing discussion in which he wasn't talking about who sponsors which team/racer? :D

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Funny thing is they had to bump up power by 20 hp on the F2 cars to make up for the lost performance from changing to 18-inch wheels from 13 this year.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  11. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yup. Gonna be interesting who is able to get chassis/suspension tweaks in place the quickest to take advantage. Those care are going to take a beating, and I'd bet drivers get REAL selective about where they're willing to hop curbing.........those 18's aren't going to deflect anywhere near the 13's...........and if they weren't on the knife-edge before, these are gonna make snap oversteer much more prevalent.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I predict a high volume of strut failures for a brief period

13. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I tinks you moved a comma by accident. They are anywheres from $1600 to $2300 depending on features. :D

SCCA bans them from the grid, but I dont recall ever seeing anyone using them at a SCCA event (doesnt mean someone doesnt have a set, just never looked). IMSA, Indycar and Nascar bans them.

Honestly on 4 wheels they really arent needed. Drag the brakes a bit on the out lap and get the rotors heat up and that will heat the tire pretty damn good for the start.

14. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I bought a set of Continental tires for my truck when they were the primary tire supplier for IMSA.*

*That may also be because I was given a $100 rebate on a set of Continental tires at the Rolex 24. :D

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A garage neighbor at T-hill has a custom set that came with his race car. I could put (6) 120/70-17 front tires inside the heating element area. :D If you want to know how I know that... lets just say it was in the evening and some beer was involved...lol

16. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Faulken's AMLS effort made me wish I needed performance tires just so I could have supported them. They were developing their own tire against Michelin endurance tires and holding their own for a small team.

17. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

I was basing my figures off total number of sets per car. But yes I should have stated they run about $1600-$2300 a set from chicken hawk. Lord knows what they cost from the manufacturer they F1 guys are getting them from.

18. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Got ya.

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Look at it this way how much does it cost to buy 3 days of 2 hour TV ads in the worldwide market from say April to November?

NemesisR6 likes this.