1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire problem....

Discussion in 'General' started by Gsxrjoe750, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Gsxrjoe750

Gsxrjoe750 Well-Known Member

I ordered a set of dunlop 207 race tires,and recieved a set of dunlop 207 ZR tires. Am I totally screwed traction wise here. I am not sure. Putnam next week will be my first time on a track. I am pretty sure I am not blistering fast. If that helps anyone answer the question.
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. DAN

DAN Member

You should be fine for your first time on a track with the D207ZR's. Just have fun and bring it home in one piece.

3. Gsxrjoe750

I know I am at a disadvantage. I was wondering how much?
    Thanks,
    Joe

4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

NONE.

Take my word for it. If you can outride these tires, then you are the man. If this is your first time on the track, then you are NOT the man.

You are, however, the man by having fresh tires. That is good. Just concentrate on going home in one piece, and not taking any soil samples. You cannot ... I repeat ... you CANNOT WIN PRACTICE!!!

Good luck, and have fun.

5. Gsxrjoe750

That was what I was looking for thank you. I did not want to create a dangerous situation.
    I think I am just nervous. I am thinking of the things I have done and not done. I am still a week away and I am already trying to figure out what I did wrong.
    Thanks again,
    Joe

6. DAN

DAN Member

I agree. Another plus is if it rains the ZR's will be alot better. What size GSXR do you have? If it's a 750 I would suggest going to a 180/55-17 rear over the 190. It will turn better. Just start out slow and the speed will come to you instead of the crash truck. After this you will be hooked on track days.

7. Gsxrjoe750

I am hoping to be completely hooked all togther considering I have already race prepped the bike. It would be a shame to decide it wasn't for me now. I am going back to putnam in may for opening weekend. I will have new tires for that ocasion(sp). I did order 180/55-17,but recieved 190/50/17 to late now just gonna let it fly.
    Joe

8. slow rider

slow rider Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be any problems with the ZR's. They may actually be better for you, considering, they don't wear as much and they can take more heat cycles. Make sure that you warm them up for a few laps though. The GP's are great but they wear out very quickly. If it's your first time out have fun, focus on your riding (entry,and exit points, braking, finding the apex,etc.) and not your lean angle or speed. If you can focus on the above, the lean and speed will come naturally. Have fun and don't dump it.
    Good luck....

9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Joe -

If you ordered them from RTS, they should correct the problem. They are a reat bunch of guys over there. You should have them in 2 days. If not, then call and see if whomever can correct it and get what you ordered.

-Ben

10. Alabummer

Alabummer wera854nv

I just ran a set a couple of weeks ago at Talladega and was surprised at how good they did. Traction was not a problem at all even when I drug the shift lever in a turn once. By no means was I approaching the track record here but it wasnt because of the tires.

11. Gsxrjoe750

I ordered through a local shop and he said he could do nothing by friday for me! Since I am pretty sure that I am not going to be setting world records I will just hold off till opening weekend for the GPs.
    Joe

[This message has been edited by Gsxrjoe750 (edited 04-02-2001).]

12. Gsxrjoe750

My intention for the weekend is to just get a feel for eveything. I have no intention of anything crazy. I can not afford a new bike for this season,so this one has to last. I will have pics from the weekend on my website when I return. www.angelfire.com/extreme2/gsxr750
    Thanks,
    Joe

13. Texracer85

Texracer85 Guest

Hey Joe,
    Make sure you didn't pay the GP price then not get refunded the difference with the new ones. Getting excited about the track makes me forget details like that.
    Have fun on the track. I did my first track day on 5 year old rock hard michelin's on a zx6e with full soft suspension. Still had a blast, that's what it is all about.

14. Gsxrjoe750

I never thought about price diff. Thank you. I will be calling the dealership in the morning. I have been putting everything on my bank card,and have never even checked if he refunded the diff.
    Thanks,
    Joe