1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tire mounting/seating question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mikek, Oct 17, 2008.

1. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

I have this EX500 racebike in my shop, among others things, I am to mount the new 150/17 rear tire supplied by my customer.

now I have been swapping motorcycle tires since my first MC shop job in 1974, nothing special about this, except........

I CANNOT get the tire to seal up against the rim in order to inflate it. All the air I put into it comes out around the sidewalls.

Of course when I first ran into this trouble, I remove the schrader valve from the stem and use my special air chuck with no depressor in it to blast huge volumes of 125psi air into it, no luck.

next I put a ratchet tie down and cinched it, no luck.

eventually (yesterday) I gave up and went home.

Today I popped the tire back off the rim and set it outside in the 80* sunshine.

rolled the warm tire on the rim by hand.......figured this would be the ticket, still no luck. Tire bead is slightly 'pinched' inward, maybe where it had been wrapped with packing tape for a long time.

finally got out the sure fire BIG GUN- diesel starting fluid and propane torch!!

after 4-5 whooshes, still not sealing the tire on the rim, all the 'explosion' is blowing out around the sidewall and open valve syem.

so I put cap on valve stem and tried several more times with starting fluid. Still no good.

By now I am several hours labor into trying to get the tire to inflate, I call my customer and tell him whats going on, he offers to send the tire back ( I think he got it from Monte STT).

Before I closed up the shop today I put an inner tube inside the bare tire and inflated it to expand the sidewalls to about 4-5 inches and left it sitting on the tire machine, I'll see what tomorrow holds.

I am about out of ideas......anybody ever had such a stubborn tire???

2. sdg

sdg *

Not on a motorcycle...something is not right.

3. bambam454

bambam454 Well-Known Member

never had one on a bike but a couple of atv tires that acted that way. lots of lube (enough to make a mess lots), air and a couple of busted knuckles later it finally gave in and seated correctly. good luck

4. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

What's the date code on the sidewall?
    I've had the public bring in tires that were "new" but shelf-stale by several years.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I've had a few that were particularly difficult as well. As with most things, lots of lube and patience eventually paid off.

6. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

update!

after the bare tire sat with an inflated tube inside it overnight, pressing the sidewalls out, I was able to mount, seat and inflate the tire today.

keep that fix of file.

7. 07yzfr1

07yzfr1 Well-Known Member

nice innovation, glad it worked.

8. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Yeeeeeeep On that very same bike. We use this "tornado" inflator thing... Big yellow tank with a spout and ball valve on it. It puts 100 lbs all at once and seats the bead and scares the shit outta everyone involved! You need it on the EX500 rim w/150/60 tire. Cost about $160 and it's NEVER met a bead it could not seat.

9. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

Yo Monte,

I've seen those blasters, never had a chance to use one.

Still can't be as scary as starting fluid and a match, which has 'always' worked for me on 4 whr and Jeep tires. Until this EX I had never met a motorcycle tire/wheel so stubborn that I would have to try exploding the tire onto the rim.

I'm just glad I finally got it mounted and my customer didn't have to bug you with 'sending it back'.

10. nevada

nevada Member

was most likely an OLD/dry tire. as was suggested above.

and yes a "cheetah", that brings back memories...

11. c7fx

c7fx Well-Known Member

Tires like this we use a strap around the outer circumference keep pulling the strap tighter making sure its dead center and then add air. I have been able to inflate most tires without the use of something like a tornado inflater. Its a little safer IMO

12. McBiker

McBiker Well-Known Member

just sealing the sides would prevent air to run out of the tire.

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Really?

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

This thread should be updated with a BOMBSHELL tag.

15. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Every time I've ever had this problem it was one of two things. One of the beads was partly on the ledge, or one of the beads was slightly deformed from something sitting on it. Either way, your tube fix is going into my bag of tricks.