1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire mounting lubricant

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Houston hb, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Houston hb

Houston hb Well-Known Member

So I wanted to know what type of paste or lube do you guys use during mounting. I am wanting a paste or lube that will not make the tire spin on the rim. I've heard of Euro paste but cannot find the correct kind for a race tire.

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

The stuff from nomar. Mix it to liquid for removal. Use as paste for mounting

BrianC636 likes this.
  3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

If your worried about spinning mount them dry...

4. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

What he said. Of course some are easier to do that way, Pirelli for example mounts easily.

If you have to use some lube to mount, make sure you at least clean the wheels thoroughly to remove all the old tire lube before mounting the fresh tires.

5. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

RU glyde from NAPA. It dries tacky, not slick. I use the No Mar paste since i bougth a jar of it years ago. It works fine but I dislike that it's so thick I have to apply it by hand or a rag. The RU gylde you can use a brush.

javyday and Wheel Bearing like this.
  6. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Ruglyde, I use a spray bottle.

Wheel Bearing and javyday like this.
  7. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Baby powder works too.

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I use magnum super slick. I pay less than $10 a gallon.

9. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

The stuff works awesome. Actually tried it based off the beeb's recommendation. Never had a tire slip on a rim either.

10. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

If anyone would know a thing or 2 about mounting tires and what works and what doesn't, Stick would know.

stickboy274 likes this.
  11. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

I use a biodegradable dish detergent, mixed with water in a spray bottle. Dries clean, I have never had a slippery dinner dish.

12. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Windex

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Windex is ok for lube but stays in the bead and makes them still slip...

14. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Windex, it's not a wart your trying to get rid of.

CK from NC, TLR67 and TurboBlew like this.
  15. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I've used it for years on over 100 tire changes and never had a problem on any 600 or 1000 with tire slip
    This is for my bikes and friends. I assume your sample size is larger given you are in the business and you may have seen instances of that.

16. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I don't know how many of the racers on here use the Dunlops we use in MotoAmerica, but we use no lubricant and actually use hairspray on the bead for rims that do not have anti slip coating or knurling on the bead surface. On the big bikes, spinning a tire 180 degrees in a race is fairly common and the resulting chassis behavior is unsettling at best. We spin the fronts as well. It's a troubling scenario. My advice for Dunlops would be to mount them dry.

TLR67 and emry like this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is that something you guys do as a team, in your own pit or do you request the Dunlop tire vendor mount them that way? I know Ive seen them (RTS) mark the rim/tire for spinning.

18. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

What RM said. Spinning a tire in the race sucks!

19. nickxx4360

nickxx4360 Well-Known Member

I use this as well without any issues.

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

We ask Dunlop to mount them that way. That do it for other teams as well. We need to get the rims coated with the grippy stuff next season. It's a big enough problem to cause us to lose time.

TurboBlew likes this.