1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire Compound issues, applicable to all brands

Discussion in 'Tech' started by theQman23, Mar 18, 2008.

1. theQman23

theQman23 Racer's Choice for TIRES

Hi guys, I was reading through some of the tire posts and its important to point out some compounding issues. In either the Michelin or Bridgestone lines that I carry, (and also in servicing other brands as well,) the idea of running one compound or another, all the time, is a dangerous and inefficient idea. And the idea that all riders at this track need this, or all riders at that same track need that is also equally inefficient. The reason that all four major brands make multiple compounds, is specifically so that you can tune in not only the track, but also the rider preferences.

If you use only ycx at this track, and ycy at that one, or t3 or t4 at this or that, or blue here and green there, or pr2000 or pr9000 or whatever, you are severely limiting your program. When I sell ten stacks I very commonly advise the riders to take mostly what they run of course most of the time at their home tracks, but also some one or two examples of some other compounds. This gives that rider an incentive to try something that may work better for them. If I put a certain softer front on a pro riders bike that can tear the thing up in 8 laps on a 1000, then I didn't do him any good. Buuutttt,,,,,,,, and this is a big but, (I used to have a big but myself,) if I encourage a novice racer to put a much softer front on his 600, and he's five seconds slower than the pro rider, with less weight and power, then he can frequently get just as much use out of that softer front as someone else can out of the harder one. This is why tire companies have multiple compounds, and this is why you should check with your trackside rep to find out which compounds favor which riders and bikes most of the time at those facilities.

But the practice of T3 rear, T4 front, all the time, everywhere, ycy rear, ycx front, all the time, everywhere, green rear, blue front, all the time, everywhere, or PR5 rear, PRC front, all the time everywhere, this kind of thinking is okay if you just want to slap tires on and ride, but it will leave your program a little short compared to the guy that knows what the tires are, and how to use them all properly. There are times I reach for really soft stuff, and there are times when I reach for really hard stuff, it just depends on who I'm selling to, and what helps that INDIVIDUAL rider's program the best.

Frequently other tire vendors will tell my customers "Oh that is all wrong, Q boned you, he sold you the wrong thing cause what we really run at such and such track is such and such compound" but beware of this thinking. Some reasons to recommend other compounds may include but are not limited to expected weather. Tire budget. Durability needs. Performance ability. The ability to get back extra money spent on tires, in the form of manufacturer or tire contingency. The ability to continue racing when you're out of money. In some rare cases, availability is a factor. Once last year I had only a certain front left on the trailer at the end of a huge, massive event that took all the stock we were able to carry on that rig. So I sold this certain front compound to a guy that asked for something different and I stated to him, "that's all I have left. I can mail order you something later, but this is all that's here with me today. The decision is yours." So the rider took the tire knowing that. Two weeks later I got flogged on a board forum for not "caring about the riders" and for "knowingly selling the wrong thing". If you're hearing this, be mindful. There is a reason I carry two brands. There is a reason that two tire companies trust what we do. And there is a reason I recommend all different compounds, to all different riders. And there was a reason ten years ago that I won 15 regionals and two number one plates across three sanctioning bodies. There's a reason for what we do, and understanding what those reasons are can help you, the individual racer, excel in your INDIVIDUAL and UNIQUE racing program. One size does not fit all when it comes to tires, despite what the guy selling only one brand may want to claim.

At road atlanta for the GNF I put supersofts on one of my sponsored riders bikes, even though everyone else was running mediums. This novice 600 vintage rider passed all but one of the experts on bigger bikes, and he won the race handsomely. And, the tires didn't even begin to tear, and when I sold his bike off to another person, that person got a whole test and tune day out of them also. Sometimes going to the softer tire can prevent wear and tear, because the tire doesn't squirm as much, and can therefore, IF APPROPRIATELY MATCHED, THAT'S THE HARD PART, but if it's appropriately matched for the conditions, there are many instances where the "softer" tire can last longer than the "harder" one, becaus it isn't squirming or sliding.

Just .02 cents from a tire guy.
    -Quentin
    -Mize Mobile