1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Throttle Sticking (newbie)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Randal03r1, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Randal03r1

Randal03r1 Well-Known Member

I have a 06 R6 and the throttle tends to stick. My buddies 03 returns with some spring. My 06 does not, returns kinda slow. (if that makes sense) I have vortex clip on's and renthal grips. I used that black washer/spacer that goes between the grip and throttle cables. I have tried dri-lube and WD-40 both. I went under the tank and spayed some on the cable. Maybe this is the norm for the 06 because of the fly by fly throttle? Any thoughts?

If I adjust the cable so its tighter will that solve the problem?

2. L7MS

L7MS Well-Known Member

Did you put any lube (grease) on the throttle pipe so it doesn't bind on the clip-on tube? Is the grip hanging up on the bar end side (some grips are longer than the throttle pipe)? When you lubed the cables did you use a cable luber or just spray the ends? Did you check to make sure the cables are installed correctly on and in the housing after you removed it to install the new clip-ons. Did you drill a hole in the clip-on to locate the throttle housing? If so is the housing pointed at the correct angle? Did the cables get twisted when you changed the clip-ons? Maybee the return cable is too tight causing the slow return.

Basically go back and double check everything and you will usually find the problem. Don't overtighten the cables.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

:stupid: Look at the grip at the bar end, it probably over hangs the throttle tube and is dragging on the bar itself. We've had this problem ourselves.

4. Randal03r1

Thanks for the response.

5. Randal03r1

Its not the grip, I made sure of that. I can see the white tube about 1/8 inch to make sure!

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Your throttle cable could be bound up. Same thing happened me at VIR during a trackday.

7. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Is the bar bent at all? It does not take much.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

If the cables are bent even a little too much, it could bind. We installed an Active throttle yesterday and with the fuel injectors off the bike, it would be fine. Once we fully seated them on, the throttle would stick. We ended up adjusting the play at the end of the cable (injector side) to make the curve of the cable less pronounced. Then we took that slack back up at the throttle end of the cable, which solved the problem.

I'd say it's a good check to see if the bend is causing it. We try to stay away from lubing/greasing the cables/throttle unless we absolutely have to. YRMV.

9. Randal03r1

Thanks.