1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

throttle and radius

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, Oct 26, 2020.

1. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

So somehow the gyroscope effect of the wheels someway contributes to the turn in effect...
    I spent a day this weekend trying to see how but was unsuccessful. And that was with Foales book at my side where he talks a lot about how gyroscopic precession produces forces around the bike and steering head.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Dunno, throttling out of corners seem to work for Stoner & Co.

Oversteer - the right amount - works for bikes too...

3. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

No they dont, greek guy is full of shit

bacolmm and tophyr like this.
  4. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

:stupid:
    My assumption is that Valia is talking about the resistance in lean changing rate generated by the wheels, not only on corner entries but also on exits. This resistance doesn't let the rider lift the bike up as fast as he'd like in order to give it more throttle and accelerate faster/sooner (?).
    I'm only assuming , here.

I'm a simple man, I prefer to follow the r=mph "equation". :D
    Lean=danger. The more you lean, the less you squeeze your brakes. The less you lean the more you use your throttle. Keepin' it simple ;)

JCW likes this.
  5. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe that is it.

Nice catch by you for noticing the mention of throttle and line though...

6. Ra.Ge. Raptor

so,there's this Italian guy...

7. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Already posted (post 15)... but yeah definitely points to exactly what we are talking about!
    I just got to get out there and try to make it repeatable and reliable

8. Ra.Ge. Raptor

I totally forgot about it:D

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Alberto Naska has the data, but I don't think he's has shown the whole story. GPS Turning Radius with GPS Speed & TPS. GPS Heading could be helpful too.

Based on his onboard, it seems like the bike is turning tighter as he applies the throttle, but mostly before speed increases. The rear suspension extends, changing the geometry in a way that works for him. But the speed hasn't increased or only increased a tiny amount, so his radius doesn't increase. At some point he starts acceleration, but by then he's spinning the tire which helps the bike turn.

I think his need to add throttle consistently is to keep the tire spinning while he's accelerating.

All of this is part of why slip targets are generally not 0 for fast riders.