1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts, Prayers for our friend Mike Kelly

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Vintage Bling, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Vintage Bling

Vintage Bling Well-Known Member

Our vintage racing friend Mike Kelly had a bad crash at kershaw on saturday. He was life flighted to columbia and is in the tramua ICU. Mike raced with us in 2004,2005,2006 on a 750 and then 1000cc BMW in V3 and V4. He is a great guy and really good racer. He has spent the last few years working for ama pro teams in the race paddock. For more info and updates please go to the Pelicanparts forum in the r1100s and r1200s bmw section.

Please keep or fellow racer and his family in your thoughts and prayers. He needs all the positive energy we can send him right now.

Brad Phillips

2. Digger3

Digger3 Rage Against Age

Oh no

Hang tough Mike.......

3. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Thoughts and prayers. :(

4. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

Prayers for you and family sent. Hang tough.

5. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

I hate hearing that, our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  6. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

Mike- I am sending some BIG vibes your way buddy- hope you make a complete recovery as soon as possible.

7. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Sorry to hear. We wish you a speedy recovery brother!

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

9. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

I'm glad you chimed in here because I can't have been the only one confused...My first thought having read this and just meeting you at Summit this Spring was, "Oh no," and then somehow pre-coffee a couple brain cells kicked in and I glanced at the WERA racers list...

In any event, our thoughts and prayers are headed in a more southeasterly direction for our other Mike Kelly...

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

Yes, not me. I believe the Mike in need of some good thoughts right now goes by mikek on here.

#156 Well-Known Member

Hate to hear that. Mike and his son were good friends and competetors when i raced against them.Hope you get well soon mike.

12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Update

Here is an update I received on ADVRider from a friend of Mike's:

"Update from Mike's son Matt, from around midnight:

Hello all, Matt typing here. Wanted to give a quick update.
    Thanks for the prayers so far, they are definitely helping. It has been a trying time, as things just aren't progressing as quickly as we would like. However, no news is good news at this point in the game, and that's about all I've got this evening. Due to the pneumonia, he did have to rely more on the respirator today, but all in all it was a good day. Recieved a few small responses from him at various points in the day. They took him off of the constant morphine today, so that is encouraging. Also, he started on a medicine today that should help wake him up over the next 3-5 days. Honestly it is scary because we just don't know what to expect, but we are hoping and praying for the best.

The best news came late in the evening. Overnight they will be moving dad to a private room within the trauma ICU. He has been sharing quarters with 3 other patients, and there is always activity and noise. Hopefully the quieter setting will allow him to get more rest and heal faster. Also, there have been several times we were unable to see him during visiting hours because other patients were undergoing procedures. Fortunately, this will alleviate that issue. The care will be just as good, maybe even a little better because of the lack of distractions.

Allison (my wife) is working on a website to keep everyone updated on Mike's condition. We will let you know when it is up.

Thanks again for all the prayers and support!"

Mike was an excellent, cautious and prudent rider. He and I had a great race several years ago at Nashville. He was on his BMW 1000 twin and I was on an SRX single. V4. He'd leave me for dead on the banking and the long fast curve leading into and out of the banking. I'd close up and pass him exiting the infield. Repeat. 8x. He beat me to the line for the win. Afterward, you'd have thought we were 2 school kids that had just gotten away with some huge scam. Grins from ear to ear and ecstatic about the great back and forth we'd just had. Truely just plain ol' good fun.

What is disturbing is the fact such an injury could happen to a good rider on a track day outing. I just returned from racing the Baja 500, and a friend was run over by a trophy truck at 120 mph+. 2 broken legs, 5 broken ribs, 3 brokenn vertabrae, punctured lung . . . lucky to be alive. WTF? This causes me pause with my racing future . . . .

Be safe folks. And think good karma for Mike K.

13. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Thoughts are with you guys

14. footwork

15. XRACER510

XRACER510 Well-Known Member

mike,best wishes to you !! i hope to hear you guys are back out @ the track getting big grins again soon!!! pj

16. nupe1911

nupe1911 Well-Known Member

prayers

Thoughts and prayers brother, I have been there, wish you a speedy recovery!!

17. footwork

Mike is improving slowly

it seems like they may move him to Charlotte NC soon- closer to home. See the Pelican thread listed in my previous post for more information.

18. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member