1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Man Owns The World's Most Advanced Private Air Force After Buying 46 F/A-18 Hornets

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah and 36 of the 46 are already air worthy.

2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

:Puke:

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

They're not Suzukis.

4. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

rafa likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I just think they look cool...no idea what their shortcomings might be. I like all the twin-booms and twin-tails.

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

7. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

According to that article, the planes are equipped "as flown" by the RAAF - including the cannons and latest radar/avionics etc.

Also says he has all the permits required for owning these fully functional weapons, as well as 76,000+ rounds of ammo for the cannons.

Getting through the amount of paperwork required is a huge task all by itself.

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Hey know...dont talk bad about the mixmaster.

Danny Glover may shoot a WP rocket at your house....

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

That's a lot of ATF forms...

10. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

In talking with Kermit Weeks he said that any weaponry on a war bird that was originally real triggers a whole bunch of regs and paperwork. Not sure how that would apply to this dude but it was anecdotal information I always wanted to share so I a taking the opportunity.

11. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

This guy is obviously the exception. I was talking about how the average Joe can buy a Mig, Sherman tank, or space shuttle from ebay but you don't get the really good parts. Like buying a MotoGP bike without the electronics.

Friend of a friend thing but there were a couple of MiGs hangered here at the local airport. Story I heard was some Silicon Valley guys would come over and get their ya-yas out in uncontrolled airspace on the weekends.

12. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

In his line of work, I'm sure he knows a person or two that can help get around those and/or get them pushed through a lot faster than the "average joe" can.

13. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

FOX ONE!

Fonda Dix likes this.
  14. prm

prm Well-Known Member

That’s cool. Back when I was flying we had many adversary squadrons. Now there are only a couple and the burden of playing Red air has gone to the squadrons doing the training. With a fixed number of hours you end up with our guys wasting their time acting as red air. And, it’s puts more wear and tear on our frontline jets. They’ve run the numbers and concluded it’s cheaper to hire a company and have them provide red air. All flown by US ex-fighter pilots.

Gino230 likes this.
  15. Notfast

Notfast Well-Known Member

Nalls Aviation's Harriers went on the market earlier this year in case anyone wants to add to their collection.

16. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I read this and thought it was awesome. I've flown some aerobatics and high performance piston singles and while it's a blast, I would love to get the opportunity to fly something like that. Did anyone catch the part about $20,000 per hour operating cost??

One of these days I'm going to buy a ride in an L-39.

17. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Jesus H. This guy has more air power than our whole country.

Ducti89 likes this.
  18. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

They're fairly loud inside because there is an engine on each end of the fuselage. The rear engine tends to run hot for obvious reasons. I agree, they do look cool.