1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This go for track use also?!?!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Chubby Huggs, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

2. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

I applaud the AMA for bring the right of choice back into america, too many years of democrats in office has taken the right to choose away from us......

3. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

I wish I could stipulate that the AMA spend the money it got from me on racer safety instead of anti-helmet drivel. I'm a lifetime member.

4. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

:clap: :beer:

-Wish

5. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Well, I do not want to be given this free choice. I want to be made to wear a helmet. I choose not to have a choice - that is my choice, and I have a right to it.

6. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

I see this one getting booted to the P&R section before the night's over...
    :rolleyes:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How about before the afternoon is over? :)

8. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

Mongo this is a Thread Hijack by the spelling police.

con·de·scen·sion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (knd-snshn)
    n.
    The act of condescending or an instance of it.
    Patronizingly superior behavior or attitude.

Warning: Always wear a Helmet on both of your heads

9. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

In all reality, Eff the helmet law. Make us wear, 'em, I don't give a shit, I wear one anyway. What I want is lane splitting, that's infinitely more useful to me than riding without a lid. Why won't the AMA get off their collective ass and work towards gaining us a privilige that even the third world has had for 50 years? Tossers, every one of 'em...

-Wish

10. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

I always figured it had to do with the perseption (sp!) that bikes meant freedom, and that if you are being made to wear a helmet then you are no longer free. Ya know, different than cage drivers that HAVE to wear a seat belt. Alive, perhaps, but not a free... I don't agree with that stance, I always wear a helmet even in Ohio where I don't have to. Have I always? No, but everytime I go without one, it takes but a few minutes to remind me why I wear one. It is nice though than when get the race bike ready for a weekend that when I blast it up the street for that shake down run, I'm breaking one less law! ;)

When I lived in PA (now this is going back a bit), I remember when motorcyclists had to wear helmets but you didn't have to wear a seatbelt while right across the border in OH you didn't have to wear a helmet but had to wear a seatbelt. Always seemed backwards to me...

My favorite is still a friend of a friend who always wears his helmet while riding his BICYCLE but never wore it while riding his
    Harley! Makes sense to me... :Poke:

11. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

It's because the bicycle is so much faster.

12. TNT184

TNT184 Guest

The heck with helmets... The idiots that don't wear them will be helping natural selection...

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I am glad of the new law but was actually told by one of the AMA's legal reps a couple of years ago that they did not spend money on repealing existing laws only avoiding additional laws. Hmmm they lied. ;)

14. yourworstnme

yourworstnme Member

Helmet Laws

Some people are so unintelligent. I'd like to take the time to congratulate Pennsylvania for increasing the number of fatalities to come. Head and neck injuries are the #1 cause of death to motorcycle operators and passengers. Governor McGoo, in one of his extremely intellectual tirades, commented that Penn. did not need a helmet law as helmets were only effective in incidents at speeds up to 19mph. I admire his research skills as the average speed of impact a rider's head is traveling during a motorcycle incident is 15mph. It is the height of the fall in the far majority of incidents that contributes to head trauma and today's helmet manufacturers are creating materials that decrease the chance of injury infantesimaly. For those of you fighting for the right to choose...I applaud you as well. As an RN I love to see my fellow motorcyclist prove time and time again that he/she is far too lowly in i.q. and self-preservational skills to make good choices in protective gear. At least you keep us busy at the hospital! :D
    Food for thought - If the AMA wants so badly for riders to have a choice in protective gear, why don't they step-up and be the role model by letting riders race without helmets. What they are fighting for is just as ludicris.

P.S. The average rider who does not wear a helmet has the equivalent of an 8th grade education and usually works in the lower blue collar field...I kid you not....studies indicate that the amount of protection chosen by a rider directly correlates to their level of education. Think about it before you go out and risk losing everything. If not, please be sure you health insurance is paid... don't punish those of us who ride responsibly by making us pay for your tube feedings and CAT scans.

CJA, R.N.
    Motorcycle Safety Instructor - State of New Jersey

Last edited: Jul 29, 2003
  15. yourworstnme

yourworstnme Member

by the way

I forgot to address one other point.

The new P.A. law states that "riders over the age of 21, holding a motorcycle endorsment or license for more than two years or after passing a Motorcycle Safety Foundation approved course will not be required to wear a helmet." I have, just this weekend, completed teaching my 135th MSF approved Motorcycle Rider Course:Riding and Street Skills class for beginners here in the state of NJ. I checked when I got home today and my skull has not gotten any thicker. Nor have any of my students. Whether they pass or fail, the skull bones - frontal, parietal, occipital, temporal, even the mandibles and nasal bones, all stay the same in thickness, abrasive resistance and tensile strength. The human skull is usually at full thickness just after puberty so I would imagine that being 21 is arguable as women would have thicker skulls slightly earlier so this must be a sexist law. Also, I'm polling to see if any of you have found your bones, skin, or hair to be any tougher after being licensed for 2 years. I find every year I break a little easier so I'd have to say that this law, in summary, blows big hairy goat balls.

Chuck

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Re: Helmet Laws

What bullshit study is that? I would like to see the specifics of that data. :rolleyes:

17. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Why? You've already decided its bullshit. :p

18. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Maybe helmet safety is taught in 9th grade?

19. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

I personally do not believe in laws that mandate an individual being REQUIRED to apply a safety device. Next thing you know The Condom Police will be breaking down hotel room doors all over the country.

(Disclaimer: I am a VICTIM of the Click It or Ticket Crusade. So I am a little bent! ;) )