1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This bike makes me want to do stupid things

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

questionable reliability can be considered "charming" at the right price point...

beechkingd and rd400racer like this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

But at that price you could buy 3 and drag them along for spares. Wouldnt hurt the reliability at all...

3. ChemGuy

But of you get run over by a lorry, at least there will be a doctor nearby...:D

4. ChemGuy

traded an 851 for a guzzi....and your giving out motorcycle purchase advice....ha ha ha ha

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The 851 was a pain in the ass. No one could service it, there were almost no dealers in the US at the time and to even get the valves adjusted it was a throw it in the truck, drive 4 hours to FBF, leave it there and then pay a small fortune. Great to look at, a nightmare to own and ride. I originally picked it up because I was offered an insane deal on it since I was the only person to ever come into their shop and even look at it. It was a dirty bike shop in Joisey that specialized in enduro and cross country bikes and the story was they had to take x number of Ducatis in order to get their other brands (Cagiva comes to mind).

The Guzzi shop went all nutso over it when I stopped and offered me the Daytona (that had been sitting there for years) and basically what I paid for the 851 in cash. So, I got rid of the 851 for what I had paid and a free moto guzzi.

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Having worked on one of the first 851s that hit the US (a TriColore) and numerous Guzzis, if I had the money I'd have the Ducati to look at and the Guzzi to ride.

And, yes, RE made a diesel single cylinder bike. I saw one at the Spencer classic bike show last April.

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I know a guy who recently did an around the world trip. While in Mongolia he met a young guy from Israel who had flown to Mongolia and bought a brand new motorcycle (150cc made in China) for $600. That included taxes and insurance. His plan was to spend a month riding it around Mongolia. That seems like a pretty cheap adventure.

8. joec

joec brace yourself

The Boyer on my Bonneville made that bike insanely reliable. Always started easier than my Honda in the spring.

Btw....I did race an Enfield for a weekend.

9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

New RE's are nothing like the old RE's. New tooling, fuel injection, electronic ignition, etc. Trust me I know - I have 12+ BSA's . . . . .
    That said, you're not going anywhere quickly on that RE. 28 hp at the rear wheel or so, I believe. But for the trip you describe, as long as you are in India, the Himalaya's and west of Burma (oh, I forgot, Burma no longer exists, someone changed its name), you're probably ok. Once you head into Thailand, Vietnam, Malayasia, you'd probably be better off with something small Japanese. But, what the Hell, it's an adventure. Go for it. And, let us know what happens - pictures are a pre-requisite.

Cheers,

Dave

10. joec

joec brace yourself

Once you get to thailand, hop on a Honda with cretu and his crew!

motion likes this.
  11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I ride in Thailand frequently. So awesome there.

12. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

13. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I meet a guy bungee jumping in Nepal that had rode his all the way from Kerala, India up to Nepal when I meet him. That's some serious miles one way, he was going to stay there a month then take the long trek back. Funny timing because I just saw one yesterday parked at the Marina in Key West where our boat is for a couple of days. First one I have seen in the states!

14. Seeley

Seeley Well-Known Member

Watch "Tough Rides" on netflix. guy and his brother rode Enfields around India. pretty good series

15. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Dude, it's on Amazon Prime, and, um, look two posts up.... :Poke: